Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Backyard chickens

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:39 AM
  • 72 Replies

They have been gaining popularity in the past few years, even making it into major cities. They're cheap, don't require much space, quiet, low-maintenance, provide pest control, make use of your left-overs, and provide you with fresh eggs daily!

I have 8 Wyandotte hens in my flock. They grew up in my garage in a cardboard box, and now they live in an old converted dog run built by the previous owners. 

They just started laying last week and we've been loving the eggs! Free and organic and from happy, free-range chickens!

Do you have chickens? Why or why not?

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BrandonsMom1000
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:40 AM

How many eggs do you get daily?  Are they hard to maintain and feed?

oboe_chik
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:41 AM

Yep. We have 17. When we moved into our current house they had an old run down chicken house so we fixed it up.

Did you or are you working full time, juggling kids, a career and who knows what else? If so click on the picture to share your stories!

isra1986
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:41 AM

No, we don't have the space, but I want to one day! I want to raise my own food :)

insunshine
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:43 AM

People with chickens in their backyards and people getting pregnant from their father in laws.

danielsmommy2b
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:44 AM

We have 2 hens... no one knows where they came from. They showed up in our neighborhood about 9 months ago (we live in a subdivision). They lay eggs in our neighbors yard. I don't know much about them, but I know they make a huge mess in our flower beds! My kids get a kick out of them. They also sneak in our patio and have ripped the screen.

unspecified42
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:46 AM

Quoting BrandonsMom1000:

They aren't laying regularly yet (they just reached laying age), so I'm getting 2 or 3 a day right now. Different chickens produce differently, but Wyandottes lay 200+ eggs a year once they've fully matured. So with my 8, I should be getting at least 1600 a year, which is about 4 or 5 per day. They do slow down or stop when it gets really cold, though. 

I have an automatic feeder and waterer, so I just go fill it up every once in a while (maybe once a week if that). I toss them a lot of leftovers or old veggies that I would otherwise throw away and they go NUTS. They also love things like piles of leaves and grass clippings- they'll dig through it for hours and eat all of the bugs. 

I'm using a deep-litter method for the henhouse, so you throw down a lot of bedding initially, turn it in 6 months, then clean it out once a year. It makes wonderful compost for the garden when you clean it out, too!

smalltowngal
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:50 AM

Quoting unspecified42:

Quoting BrandonsMom1000:

They aren't laying regularly yet (they just reached laying age), so I'm getting 2 or 3 a day right now. Different chickens produce differently, but Wyandottes lay 200+ eggs a year once they've fully matured. So with my 8, I should be getting at least 1600 a year, which is about 4 or 5 per day. They do slow down or stop when it gets really cold, though. 

I have an automatic feeder and waterer, so I just go fill it up every once in a while (maybe once a week if that). I toss them a lot of leftovers or old veggies that I would otherwise throw away and they go NUTS. They also love things like piles of leaves and grass clippings- they'll dig through it for hours and eat all of the bugs. 

I'm using a deep-litter method for the henhouse, so you throw down a lot of bedding initially, turn it in 6 months, then clean it out once a year. It makes wonderful compost for the garden when you clean it out, too!

I read an interesting article that if you feed protein, like worms, to your chickens in the winter then they produce more eggs. That it isn't as much as a temperature issue as a food issue because they don't get all the bugs like they do during the summer.

I'm wanting to get chickens soon. DH and I are going over to a friend's house this week to check out their set up. They have a neighbor that had some chicks we're looking at buying. :)

Rubygl00m
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:50 AM

Our neighbor has chickens. I want to shoot the damn roosters when they start waking me up at 4 am.

unspecified42
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 11:37 AM

Quoting Rubygl00m:

Our neighbor has chickens. I want to shoot the damn roosters when they start waking me up at 4 am.

Yeah. lol. Out of respect for my neighbors I only have hens:) They only cluck quietly.

hfs1998
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 11:54 AM

How awesome!  I can't have chickens because of zoning restrictions. :(  My friend is getting chickens though - she is limited to 6 in her town.  She is also sticking to the hens because of noise.  I'm so jealous! :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)