Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Because I'm tired of people only spotlighting Pit Bulls!!!

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:40 AM
  • 57 Replies

Fatal dog mauling may bring no charges 02/04
LIHUE, Kauai police detectives and prosecutors were scheduled to meet today to decide whether criminal charges should be filed against a Moloaa man whose dog fatally injured a 17-month-old boy on Saturday.

"So far, I don't think we see anything criminal," acting Police Chief Willie Ihu said late yesterday. The parents of Trusten Heart Liddle issued a statement through their attorney, Susan Marshall, asking for privacy and time to heal. "We request peace and quiet while we mourn the death of our cherished loved one," wrote Dove and Raven Liddle. "We appreciate your prayers. Our only request is for people to light a candle in memory of Trusten at sunset."

The dog, which belongs to a neighbor who has not been identified by police, was on a chain anchored on the neighbor's property. There are conflicting accounts whether Trusten wandered on to the neighbor's property or whether the chain was long enough to allow the dog on to his parents' farm.

"That's part of the investigation: how long was the chain and did it end on the owner's property?" Ihu said. Trusten died in the emergency room at Wilcox Memorial Hospital. He had suffered extensive head, throat and chest wounds, Kauai police said. His parents' statement said: "Trusten did not wander onto the neighbor's property." But Marshall would not say whether the child was attacked on the Liddle's property.

There is no fence between the two farms. Moloaa, which is on Kauai's northeast shore, is a rugged area containing numerous small farms, most secluded from public roads. The dog was taken to the Kauai Humane Society, where it is being held. Dr. Becky Rhoades, the veterinarian who is the shelter's executive director, said she does not know if the dog has a name and she had not heard from its owner as of yesterday.

She said the dog appears to be a Labrador-Basset hound mix, with a long body and short legs. "He's still very stressed but he's not hard to handle. He hasn't been aggressive at all," Rhoades said. Rhoades said dogs who are chained for a long period of time can become very territorial about the area within the radius of the chain and attack anyone who comes within their territory. The fate of the dog will be decided either by the owner or a judge, she said. Many dogs involved in serious attacks have been euthanized but that is not her decision to make, Rhoades said.

So since I got tired of everyone only blamming pit bulls on attacks against anyone I found a dog mauling that was a Lab/bassett mix supposdly!!! So should we decide to ban these dogs too????

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TinaN64
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:42 AM

Let your kid outside unattended, it gets hurt/killed by an animal that is TIED, and blame the animal.

Euthanize the PARENTS of the child left outside on its own.

carterscutie85
by *Shanny's Stalker* on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:43 AM

I don't see why they can't tell whether the chain was long or the boy wondered onto the neighbors property. It seems to me wherever they found the boy would be their answer..if he was found on the property then he wandered..if he was found in his own backyard then he didn't..

isra1986
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:43 AM

Yep, my DD was attacked by a Golden Retriever.

barrelracer1699
by Gold Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:43 AM

Quoting TinaN64:

Let your kid outside unattended, it gets hurt/killed by an animal that is TIED, and blame the animal.

Euthanize the PARENTS of the child left outside on its own.

I agree I'm just trying to show that its not just pit bulls that attack!!!

SexyPirateBitch
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:44 AM

Pits are dangerous, get over it.

allurasmamma
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:47 AM

sick!

yesitsme311
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:48 AM

Thats mature. ANY dog or animal can be dangerous. Shit, I had a cat many years ago that was attacking my 1 yr old daughter. We had to get rid of her.

Quoting SexyPirateBitch:

Pits are dangerous, get over it.

yesitsme311
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:53 AM

BUMP!

GreenEyePixie
by Ruby Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:53 AM

Hy husband was bit in the face as a child by a White German Shepard.  It was his aunts dog and just happened to snap.

I am sorry a family lost their child though. It is really sad!! ANY breed or dog can snap and hurt someone. 

DanielleK21
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:55 AM

Quoting isra1986:

Yep, my DD was attacked by a Golden Retriever.

So was I when I was 8 years old. I had just left to go to school and my neighbors golden retriever came towards me I didn't think that it was attacking cause I played with it all the time. But it jumped up grabbed me by the arm. I have bite marks on my arm my hand and the back of my neck. My mom heard me screaming she opened the door to come out and my dog ran out of the house. Diesel got the buddy off of me and killed buddy. O O guess what my dog was a Pit Bull. Its amazing on how protective Pits are..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)