Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A daughter question....at what age.... ** edit

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:56 AM
  • 60 Replies

....should a girl start wearing tampons.  My DD is asking about them.  She's 13.  She's going to a cheer camp this summer at a local swimming place.  She's so worried that she have her period that week and not be able to swim with her friends. 

I didn't start wearing them until I was 26.  My Mom didn't say I couldn't, I just never wanted to.  At 26 we were in Florida on vacation, and I wasn't missing swimming in the ocean with my family.

This may seem like a stupid question, but would it change the fact that she's a virgin? 

****(edit) She said one of her friends told her she wouldn't be a virgin anymore.  I hadn't heard this before, but again I waited so long....I just didn't know.  Her friend told her it would break the hymen and she wouldn't even know because she was already bleeding.  She really stumped me with this one...so I had to ask.  Thanks for not making me feel stupid asking this question.  Now I know...

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
luvmykaitygrace
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 11:00 AM

I wore them my very first period at age 12 b/c like your daughter I wanted to go swimming. My mom didn't wear them so I was stuck with the directions in the box trying to figure them out. LOL it was funny! But I have since switched to this, the diva cup. It is much more convenient b/c you can leave it in for 12 hours. For a busy preteen at cheer camp this may be much more useful and you won't have to worry about her leaving a tampon in for too long and getting toxic shock syndrome.

MommyToEthan
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 11:00 AM

if she wants to try them, i would let her.   you would just have to tell/show her how to use them. i was around that age when i started using them.

you're not serious, are you?   if so, the answer is NO.

Quoting LilBldSoccerMom:

....should a girl start wearing tampons.  My DD is asking about them.  She's 13.  She's going to a cheer camp this summer at a local swimming place.  She's so worried that she have her period that week and not be able to swim with her friends. 

I didn't start wearing them until I was 26.  My Mom didn't say I couldn't, I just never wanted to.  At 26 we were in Florida on vacation, and I wasn't missing swimming in the ocean with my family.

This may seem like a stupid question, but would it change the fact that she's a virgin?

eeyorerdl
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 11:01 AM

I didn't start using them till I was like 15 or 16...in high school.  I tried shortly after I started my pd at 12, but it hurt...so I didn't try again till later.  And I was a virgin till 18 and a half.  So being a virgin doesn't make a difference.  But I'd start her on either the junior or regular...

I think the best thing to do it ask her if she's ready for it.

Mom2PunkRockers

Wearing a tampon will not impact her virginity . However , I would make sure she saw the gynocologist before she started wearing tampons, and that the Dr. , you and her discussed them and their use etc before she used them and I would definetely have her use them before she went away sao she could get used to their application etc. Taking her to the doctor is important before she uses them though , the doctor will be able to give her and you some very important info and the doc can make sure your daughter is healthy before she uses internal protection.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/thepitbullmommas      <--Click me if you love Pit Bulls!

Braydens_Mama06

I was probably 14 or 15 and it was for the same reason as your DD.  I was at a beach camp and wanted to be able to go to the beach and swim in the ocean.  No it won't affect her virginity, at least it didn't mine.  I had been wearing them for years before I had sex and it still hurt and I still bled so I doubt tampons had any affect on that.  Just make sure she knows how to be safe about it and knows the risks of leaving one in too long.  Oh and tell her how to use one.  I had a hard time trying to figure out how to put it in!  Silly, I know, but I was young.  They also make tampons for teens that aren't very thick.  They are smaller than my pinky finger.  

Msgme
by Platinum Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 11:02 AM

I'm in my mid 30's and still don't wear them. I did try when I first got my period cause I didnt know what I was suppose to buy.  Didnt work out the way I thought it would.  My girls will be @ least 18 but preferrable mid 20's if ever.

insunshine
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 11:02 AM

LOL No! It doesnt affect her virginity. That takes a penis, nt a tampon. Get them for her, so more hygenic!

imthatgirl728
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 11:03 AM

Whenever they feel the desire to wear them. I don't really see the big deal.

Rubygl00m

I was 12. Just make sure you educate her on how to properly use them.

Pnukey

A tampon has no effect on virginity.

If she's ready to try them, 13 seems like a reasonable age. I didn't use them until after I had my first kid, well even later, when I was like 23, but that's just me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)