Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

mommy does know best!

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 12:35 PM
  • 0 Replies

This is my rant!  I have an almost 5 month old named Angus. Fitting to his name he is a very large baby at 20 pounds already lol. He eats like a champ and is exclusively breast feed, although he did have 1 month of a small amount of formula once a day to mix prevacid in when he was 2 months old.

I take him to a pediatrician because he also has a condition called Tracheomalacia which causes a soft wind pipe. His last check up was 4 months and she told me I basically am nursing him too much (every 1-2 hours) and he needs food. She said oh all that stuff about 6 months isn't really true and he is too big not to have food. Okay, shes sort of a quack I never liked her (shes the only peds doc in town) so she was easy to ignore.

Two weeks later I have my regular GP appointment for a check up and he basically tells me the same thing. Give that kid food and nurse less, he will sleep better.. etc etc. He is also very old school and has been my doctor since I was 3 (I am 34 now). I also tend to dismiss his advice at times since i know he is old school in a lot of things.

So then two weeks ago I take him to the health nurse for immunizations and she tells me oh he needs food. Oh no he is ready he is a good weight for it. You will nurse less and he will sleep better etc, the same story.

The last week I decided to give it a try, against my gut instinct, and feed him some beginners baby oat cereal and some apple sauce. He gets so fussy, not sleeping, puking A LOT. After almost a week I can tell he is straining to poop and can't. Having dealt with barium x-rays with him over a suspected stenosis I am used to what he is like constipated so we give him a glycerin suppository. His poop is like clay consistency not the regular runny boob milk poop. He feels better and I cut back on the food.

I figure okay maybe more fruits and less grains and give it one more try this time I buy some quinoa flakes from the health food store assured its super easy to digest and better then the commercial stuff. I mix a few teaspoons with apple sauce and water and let him eat that once a day.

Last night he woke at 2am screaming bloody murder in pain. My husband who is an RN realizes he is constipated again since his belly is hard and he is straining. We give him another suppository and he literally poops a baby LOG! I mean as gross as it is.. this was not baby poop but a hard lump :(

I am SO not giving any more food before 6 months.. doctors don't ALWAYS know best!!!

~ I feel like I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe ~

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 12:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies:
There are no replies to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)