Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

over weight children..I don't blame them?

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:26 PM
  • 15 Replies
I have been doing some thinking. I have a 9 year old niece, a 7 year old nephew and a 4 1/2 year old niece. My 9 year old niece is 111 lbs and doesn't know how to roller skate, ride a bike, play sports or run. Her favorite things to do our watch tv, play video games and make mud pies in the backyard. My 7 year old nephew is 80 lbs and like his sister doesn't know how to do things most kids his age do. He spends most of his time playing video games, watching tv or playing with action figures. My 4 year old niece is very bossy and throws fits if she doesn't get her way. She unlike her brother and sister at least attemps to ride a bike. She rides with training wheels. She enjoys playing with her barbie's and watching tv. All three of the kids live with my parents. They don't discipline and give the kids whatever they want. They have a psp, a play station3, a wii, and televisions with dvd players in each of their rooms. They eat candy, popcorn and ice cream daily. They eat dinner in front of the tv in the playroom almost every night. My oldest is 4 years old. I took my son over to ride his bike at grandma's and he was riding his bike without trainging wheels by himself. He asked for a glass of milk with his dinner while the other kids got soda. The other kids complained about eating their veggie s and my son ate all of his. None of the kids would go outside to play with my son because there movie was on at 2pm in the afternoon on a bright sunny warm day. I feel sorry for these kids. Is it just me or do you think this is wrong,
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
anetrnlov
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:27 PM

Wrong on many levels.

MamaPeanut
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:28 PM

I completely understand what you're saying. 

I do feel sorry for those kids, life is going to be hell for them, physically, emotinally, and health wise. 

I don't blame the kids, I DO blame the parents for allowing the awful diet, lack of exercise, and lack of concern for their children's health.

two4one
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:30 PM

Yes, I think it is wrong. Kids shoudn't be so immobile. I take my girls to the park at least twice a week, they are in soccer, they play in our backyard, we take walks, play dance club, etc. They are also limited in the amount of snacks they can have. I'm sorry, but that is just lazy parenting.

keljo05
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:42 PM

Nope you are fully correct in your thinking. I myself am overweight from a childhood spent mainly inside. (still trying to find the right trigger to get over my issues and lose the weight and get healthy) My dad left (moved 1200 miles away) when I was 7, my mom had to work and couldn't afford to have someone watch us and my grandparents that lived a half mile away couldn't be bothered (something that really hit home for me about a year ago). My brother was 8 or 9 and by the time we were 8/10 we were watching after ourselves. Its just how it was... my father sent child support maybe 4 times all those years. My mom made mistakes but did the best she could by us and she and I have a great relationship still.

It was easier to sit inside with snack food and watch TV. I played in the woods behind our house, but not enough. I wish I hadn't been so shy and reserved and played more sports or ran around with friends and did more then be a chorus member for most of my school years.

I watch my 3 year old (healthy weight) run and play for hours. I am using him as my reason and way to exercise more. Today I was in a store and I saw a bike that I liked. I may buy it even though I will be so self consious at first riding it, but then he and i can go riding in the park. I want to give him a different childhood then mine and to be able to explore anything, especially sports wise.

CafeMom Tickers

Cavalrybaby02
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:48 PM

I'm with you, I feel sorry for the kids.  Not only are they overweight, and are learning bad eating habits and will fight their weight their whole lives, but they don't get to be just kids... kwim?  They aren't running and playing, they are sitting in front of a tv or video game and eating junk.

I don't know, I know everyone parents differently, but why wouldn't you WANT your kids to ask for fruits and veggies?  Why wouldn't you want your kids to ask for water over anything else to drink?  Why wouldn't you want your kids to want to go outside and play?

By the way, my 4 year old can't ride without training wheels.  She got a bike for Christmas in 2008, but she never really got a chance to ride it, and now we live in a place without a place to ride it...  But they do go outside and play every day that they can...

anna_mccall
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 2:01 PM

kids need to get outside. I have an overweight almost 9 yo who weighs about 88 pounds. She plays soccer, rides her bike, jumps on the trampoline, etc on a daily basis when the weather is nice. She goes to her gmas after school and is there from 3:30-5. They let her eat whatever she wants. At home it's a different story. She gets balanced meals and snacks are limited. She only drinks water and skim milk at home. I have polyctystic ovarian disease and have talked to her dr because she is already showing signs of it. They can't test her until she starts puberty. She has had her thyroid tested and it came out ok. My twins are 3.5 and my daughter weighs 25 pounds and my son weighs 32 pounds.

teri4lance
by Platinum Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 2:04 PM

of course it's wrong. what youre parents are doing is tantamount to neglect.

countrygirlkat
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 2:07 PM

Very wrong.  The kids don't know any different so that is the norm for them and they will grow up not knowing any better and it will only get worse.

AquarianPath
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 2:09 PM

Yeah, that's sad. My boys like to play their video games, and I usually let them have free access to their games. But they prefer to be outside playing in the back yard.

Lisabrenner
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 2:09 PM

I think that is so wrong...definitely feel bad for those kids...shame on the parents!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)