Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When I was 3 I walked to my neighbors alone

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:50 PM
  • 11 Replies

I would walk next door to my friends house by myself.  One time, I remember walking back home and the door was locked, I knew this meant my mom must be at Lorraine's house, so I walked another house down to Lorraines and went inside. 

I would never cross the street  alone.  That is something I remember. The girl across the street would always call to me and ask me to come over and I would refuse because I wasn't allowed to cross the street.  I'd also always ask my mom before I went swimming in my friends pool.

I know I was 3 because my mom confirmed all this and we also moved out of that house when I was 4.

Do you let your 3 or 4 year olds play outside with friends without you there?  Or are you always right there with your child even if it's in the house? 

Sign by Danasoft - Get Your Free Sign
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gigglefiend121
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:52 PM

My son is 4, if he is out front I am there with him the whole time. We have a fanced in back yard so my son does occasionally play out t here on his own.

theatregirl26
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:54 PM

I am almost always right there.  I left my 4 year old with my 11 month old in the back yard while I ran inside for less than 30 seconds to grab some suntan lotion, but other than that, I am always with them.  It isn't that I don't trust my daughter.  I do.  I don't trust the rest of the world.  And she has run across the street once without me and I got on her big time.  She has never done it since, but I would still have that fear.  Plus if anyone tried to take her I would not be able to live with myself knowing if I was there it wouldn't have happened.  The world is different now.  I was sent out to play for hours and my folks never knew where I was other than the neighborhood or the field.  Anything could have happened.  Now that is almost unheard of.

angelbaby9685
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 2:00 PM

The only time my son has ever been allowed to play outside with out me physically there was when we lived in our other place and we had a fenced backyard, and the only time I would not be able to see him was when I went into the bathroom, I could see him from the kitchen dining room living room laundry room, if i had to go upstairs or anywhere that he'd be out of site I'd have him come inside for a minute (he's only 3) the only reason I allowed him to play out back on his own is we lived on a private cul-de-sac, and my uncle lived on one side of the duplex, we live on the other and everyone else had kids or were grandparents and we all kept an eye on each other's kids. in 8 homes there were 15 kids and everyone just loved to help. man I miss those people  

countrygirlkat
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 2:03 PM

I have a 3 year old and a 4 year old.  I let them play outside alone but I keep the windows open so I can hear them and I check on them  all the time.  We live on a dirt road in a rural place with very little traffic so I feel safe not being with them every second.  They know the rules like not going to the road and if they break them they come inside and don't get to go back out, so needless to say they follow them.

Kerfuffle
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 2:26 PM

Quoting theatregirl26:

I am almost always right there.  I left my 4 year old with my 11 month old in the back yard while I ran inside for less than 30 seconds to grab some suntan lotion, but other than that, I am always with them.  It isn't that I don't trust my daughter.  I do.  I don't trust the rest of the world.  And she has run across the street once without me and I got on her big time.  She has never done it since, but I would still have that fear.  Plus if anyone tried to take her I would not be able to live with myself knowing if I was there it wouldn't have happened.  The world is different now.  I was sent out to play for hours and my folks never knew where I was other than the neighborhood or the field.  Anything could have happened.  Now that is almost unheard of.

Did you know that in the 80's violent crime was up... and so were stranger kidnappings? 

Now...   stranger kidnappings are at low....   about 115 kids are abducted by strangers....   and that is horrific for those 115 kids and families...  but considering there are 40 million kids that is a relatively low number.  Violent crime is also down.  

However, kidnappings conducted by family or people that the child knows well are still on the higher side.

So, when i was little walking next door, I was at a much higher risk of something horrid happening according to crime stats. 

Sign by Danasoft - Get Your Free Sign
boyd-family
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 2:29 PM

My sister lets hers...I don't see anything wrong with it, her older brother who is 7 is always out there with her, and the neighborhood looks out for each others kids!

ShadowLark
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 2:30 PM

Yep.  I always love when people are like "oh, the world was SO much safer back then".  EVERY generation says that, and you know what?  Statistically, it isn't true!

That said, my 2 and 3 year old play with me outside with them.  I don't know how old they'll be when that changes, but I do know that my situation is unique.  My 3 year old has SN.  If they're out playing together alone, it has to be determined by my 2 year old's age and maturity level, and her ability to watch out for him at all times and know how to get help if something happens.  Not exactly a fair burden for a 3 year old, is it?  So they'll be quite a bit older, I think.

Quoting Kerfuffle:

Quoting theatregirl26:

Did you know that in the 80's violent crime was up... and so were stranger kidnappings? 

Now...   stranger kidnappings are at low....   about 115 kids are abducted by strangers....   and that is horrific for those 115 kids and families...  but considering there are 40 million kids that is a relatively low number.  Violent crime is also down.  

However, kidnappings conducted by family or people that the child knows well are still on the higher side.

So, when i was little walking next door, I was at a much higher risk of something horrid happening according to crime stats. 

ikesmommy
by Silver Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 2:52 PM

Always outside. Even in the house, I have to be in the same room or in the room next door

msmoody
by Ruby Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 2:59 PM

When I was 4, my cousin and I walked out of our back yard, and down the street (probably 5 or 6 houses away) to a Wendy's, and took crackers out of their salad bar. Then they gave us fries. I'm sure they thought we were orphans, lol. We were gone a long time before my sisters found us..

I also remember hiding from everyone when I was 3 or 4. I remember I was curled up behind the garage for what seemed like forever before going in....my mom didn't even notice I was gone.

Though..I had a messed up childhood, lol. Maybe mine aren't the best examples ;)

Kerfuffle
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 3:01 PM

I dont let my kids play outside alone.  I live in a great neighborhood...  it's an area of little streets that are all circles... the main road is a dead end with a park at the end. It's all families or older couples....  

But my oldest (who will be 5 in May)...  doesn't listen... doesn't follow rules. If i let him outside alone he would not report back... do whatever the older kids told him to do... he'd cross the street on his own...   he just wouldnt be responsible.

Earlier today my husband went to take the dogs out. Ethan followed him out...  Matt didn't realize it until he say Ethan in the neighbors backyard playing with their rather large dog.  Yeah....    he's not going to be allowed out until he is 19.  lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)