Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Getting caught with drugs coming into the country, any experience? Update, holy crap! UPDATE WOOOOHOOO!

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:52 PM
  • 30 Replies

My friend lives in Canada. Her boyfriend and her son's father both live in the US. She was going through the airport, from Canada into the US, when a search through her bag produced some prescription drugs that did not belong to her. She was in a car accident a while back and still has a lot of pain. The pills that her doctor prescribed her didn't touch the pain. A friend offered her some pain medication that she had left over from a recent surgery to have on hand when she really needed it. She put it in a Tylenol bottle, tossed it in her purse and forgot about it. She knows that taking someone else's prescription is illegal but she took them because she was in pain. She knows it was a bad idea and regrets it.

Anyway, she has a trial next week. Until then, she is banned from the US. She may permanently lose her rights to cross the border. This would make life a nightmare for her. Her six year old son has his father and other family here and her bf is a US citizen, all of his family lives here too. She tried to accept a lesser charge and they refused to make a deal. She is literally sick over it and totally terrified. The woman has never had so much as a speeding ticket.

Have you ever known anyone in this type of situation? What was the outcome? This was just a few pills, not like she was smuggling drugs in to sell.

PLEASE, don't tell me that she deserves to be punished. She is a beautiful person that was looking for some relief from pain that doctors didn't take seriously. She made a mistake.

UPDATE

The woman had just filled the prescription, she had 87 pills.

Second UPDATE

Her lawyer got them to settle on a class A misdemeanor. I am not positive what her sentencing will be but she will be able to cross the border. This was way better than she expected.  

We are all shades of gray. It’s been said again and again; life’s a process. We are fleeting moments that come and go, and I am grateful to have my time, my aspirations and my mistakes, my flaws and my abilities. Think of me what you will, but before you do, don’t. Alexander William Gaskarth

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
-42-
by Gold Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 2:06 PM

Wow, I don't know. I've never had to deal with that situation, but I hope it all works out for her.

"Hate is just a special kind of love we give to
people who suck."

MommyAnnaBanana
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 2:09 PM

I have no experience with this.  Here is a bump for you.  Good luck to your friend.

Phatpatswife
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 2:12 PM

No experience with the over the border thing. But my ex was busted with two pills that someone had "supposedly left in his car" and they are a felony per pill. They don't have much leniency with that kind of thing because of how bad it's gotten with abusing prescription drugs nowadays. Sorry your friend is going through that though.

Lori_G4
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 2:13 PM

Quoting -42-:

Wow, I don't know. I've never had to deal with that situation, but I hope it all works out for her.

toddler girl

Chris & Lori             Valerie-11             Brian-8                  Dalton-6                   Maya-2

Swtmama62205
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 2:14 PM

aww im not sure...I hope she doesnt get banned though thats terrible

mommymandaleigh
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 2:14 PM

I'm sorry for her. Unfortunately she picked a time to make a mistake when there is a WAR against any/all drugs right now. I hope she can find a way out because I believe they felony charges. GL to her and here is a bump

kat247
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 2:17 PM

How many pills were there?She will have a charge for each individual pill probably.Sorry shes going thru this.Its sucks that someone like that gets caught and gets in trouble but yet ppl get away with with hardcore drugs that are going into the hands of kids all over America.

Tatiana7
by Princess on Apr. 19, 2010 at 2:27 PM

I wish I knew something helpful but I don't.  I am sending along some hugs anyway...wish it was more useful info for ya!

2love
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 2:29 PM

Wow!i really hope she doesn't get banned...that would be a nightmare...I hope things work out.

bree_gabys_mom
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 2:35 PM

I'm sorry your friend is going through that it pisses me off that someone that needs meds gets caught and may not be able to reenter the country but my drug dealing neighbors get away with dealing to little kids and trying to run me over when I was pregnant it makes a person sick

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)