Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baby might of swallowed a penny! What to do?

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 3:04 PM
  • 36 Replies

What would you do if a baby swallowed a penny? Yesterday while my dh and I and our 11 month old dd was visiting my mother. My mother said she would watch our dd while I talked to my grandmother. So about 15 minites into our visit I looked over to see our dd had pulled herself up to stand right beside the coffee table and was about to put a penny in her mouth that she found on the coffee table. Well I freaked out and ran over to her and put my finger in her mouth and tried to sweep it out and patted on her back. Well I didn't see her put the penny in her mouth. But I didn't find it on the ground or anywhere else. So I freaked out and said did she put it in her mouth or swallow it or did she drop it? So this has been bothering me all day. What would happen if she did happen to swallow it? Would she just pass it in a couple of days or would she need to have surgury to take it out? And how would you figure out if she even did swallow it? I just don't want to think that she didn't swallow it and then have to penny get stuck in her and then like 20 years down the road find out she still has it after her takes a x ray or MRI when she is an adult. So ladies what do you think I should do?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 3:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wife.and.mommy
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 3:05 PM

watch her poop

gulfcoastmom4
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 3:05 PM

What for her to poop it out. LOL

Swtmama62205
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 3:06 PM

i would call her pedi and ask...Im not really sure

alt075
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 3:06 PM

Call poison control. They will if it is safe or to take her to the er.

Idiosyncratic
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 3:07 PM

take it out of her future allowance....

alt075
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 3:07 PM

You need to find out if it will have any chemical reaction in her that could hurt her.

parkerkamismom
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 3:07 PM

 IMO, whether or not she swallowed it, I'd take her to the doc, even if you're unsure.  It could get lodged somewhere inside and could create big issues.  It's better to be on the safe side.  Call her pedi and see what they say, at the very least.

LCWAmommy
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 3:08 PM

I would just worry that she might have sucked it into her lungs I think if it where me and I didnt find the penny I woul take her to the doc so they cold do xrays to be sure its not in her kungs and is moving through her bowles if she did swallow it

 Imaddge3.jpg picture by JanieBoBanie

pause_25
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 3:09 PM

She will pass it in a few days!

I apparently swallowed two pennies a nickle and a  quater!

I was little I do remember 1 penny and 1 quater but not the others!

My mom took me to the hospital they took x-rays and there the money was!

it should be fine!

brbrowen
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 3:10 PM

Wait for her to give it back.  If she seems to have trouble going then take her to the doctor.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)