Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Screw the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act!! *edited*

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 3:06 PM
  • 72 Replies

I don't think that just because a person is on active military duty, that they should be exempt from civil and/or financial obligations that they should be held accountable for.....especially ones that concern their children.

Sorry, was busy and couldn't type much. Here's the story behind DD's father:

DD's father has evaded service since 2004, had his family lie to state officials, etc. I filed for CS (again) throught Texas last year in March. They finally found him, did the DNA test, etc. He volunteered to go on deployment (in a sub) the day after our negotiation hearing, after it was decided we would have to go to court because he wouldn't agree to the arrearages amount. We are supposed to have court in 10 days, and they cannot serve him because he is deployed. His wife has told his family that he volunteered for the deployment to get out of his CS obligation, and that he is going to try to stay deployed until he is discharged (in a year). Once he is discharged, he will just "work under the table" and "that kid" will never see a dime of "her" money. The AG had filed for a Rule 501, or whatever, for a simple drop off service, but the judge denied it.

So, by the time he comes back, it will have been over 2 years since I filed this time, with absolutely nothing happening, and if they don't get him served by the time he is discharged, good freakin luck finding him.

The CS is not a big deal, but the medical insurance is a huge deal. I have tried to get her medical insurance, but she is always denied because of her muscle disorder that falls under the muscular dystrophy category.

CIO SPANKING LIBERAL REPUBLICAN ANTI OBAMA PRO CHOICE GAY MARRIAGE SUPPORTING 2010 BRIDE CROWN AND COKE DRINKING SMOKING YOUNG MOMMY STEPMOM SPLIT FAMILY PRIMARY PARENT SECONDARY PARENT

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 3:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaPeanut
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 3:08 PM

It's not just active duty military, it is Deployments. 

They are fully obligated to pay all debts upon the deployment ending.

kara_thrace
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 3:09 PM

certainly you arent talking about child support obligations?

Heather0816
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 3:09 PM

Since when are they not? Last time I checked, we were still responsible for taking care of our bills.

Toughenough2bme
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 3:10 PM

exactly last time I checked we're still responsible for our bills. but this is going to get quite intresting popcorn

Quoting MamaPeanut:

vixens323-angel-lola-luv-me.jpg picture by misswhatleyncqb1.png big girl panties image by highkick07

Imagine peace on this earth where there's no grief
Imagine grief on this earth where there's no peace

Prmomof4

they are held accountable 100% it is simply deferred and for children if they have cs is automatically comes out...please read up on this

MamaPeanut

I believe the OP is misunderstanding the Act.  It allows interest rates to be reduced for many bills, such as credit card payments and auto loans, to 6%.  However, the bills must still be paid and the rate goes back to the original rate once the deployment ends.

Quoting Heather0816:

Since when are they not? Last time I checked, we were still responsible for taking care of our bills.

Je_Jette_Poo
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 3:12 PM

I thought it was just for deployed soldiers. 

But either way, we still have to pay all of our bills every month

Prmomof4
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 3:14 PM

google is a wonderful thing....simply google it and educate yourself on this subject

kara_thrace

so you are just gonna make a vague statement complaining about something that helps military families and not actually explain why you think it sucks?

hautemama83

Exactly, which I think is totally fair. But then again honestly, even that doesn't always protect them from everything. DH has repo'd LOTS of cars from people who were deployed, of course it takes longer to go through the proper channels, and most of the time it ends up being voluntary, but w/e.

Quoting MamaPeanut:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)