Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

kids and cell phones

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 3:22 PM
  • 18 Replies

Question: after reading the OP I would have to say I ...

I agree with the OP- might be different if there was a real need

I disagree

something else

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 25

View Results

My DD is 11 and wants a cell phone. I don't see any reason to get her one and think she mostly wants one because so many of her peers have one. So does your kid have a cell phone ? why? What age do you think is appropriate to get a kid a cell phone just so they have one ..? Honestly I pick her up after school and she can go to the office to use their phone if she needs to call home. I watch her at her after school activities so she doesn't need a cell then either , I can't see any justification to get her a cell ..Am I being to harsh or do you agree?

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 3:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by Platinum Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 3:25 PM

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 3:25 PM

I have an 7 and a 3 year old.  Neither have phones, but we plan on gettng our oldest one around 10.  I really don't have a great reason for wanting him to have one.  He wants one and when Im sure hes old enough not to loose it, we will get him one.  I don't think its that big of a deal.  He doesn't need an xbox or a psp or any of the other high dollar items he has, so why not a cell phne to?

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 3:27 PM

With all the sexting and misuse of cellphones by kids I don't see why a parent would get one unless there was a need just for the kids to look "cool". My kids will not have one before they are somewhere I am not. There is no reason for it. They will also *gasp* be required to pay for their portion themselves.

Did you or are you working full time, juggling kids, a career and who knows what else? If so click on the picture to share your stories!

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 3:28 PM

Put it off as long as you can, Mama! Acell phone comes with a whole new set of problems!

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 3:29 PM

My freaking 7 year old thinks he needs a cell phone!! I don't know what this world is becoming. I told him if he could carry an old cell phone and not lose it and take care of it then we would get him one...(knowing he wouldn't be able to do that) sure enough we found it in the front yard a few days later lol.

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 3:29 PM

My 17 year old son does have a cell phone.

He received his first cell phone at around 10 or 11.. He received that cell phone because he was already staying after school for clubs/activities. He needed to be able to get in touch with us in order to let us know when he was finished/needed a ride home/had a ride home..ect..ect..

By the time he was 13. He was riding Public Transportation back and forth to school/clubs/activites by himself. So a cell phone , to us his parents, was needed for him to be able to keep in touch with us, and for use in case of emergencies.

Each parent has to decide the whole cell phone things themselves. I would say that a parent should base their decision on: the child themselves/their maturity level..... why or why not a child would need or use a cell phone... and whether or not it is financially feasible for the parents to afford a cell for the child.......

by Platinum Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 3:30 PM

My dd was 8 when we got her a phone. Just a pay by the min sort of one. real cheap. after a few mnths we just stopped paying the mins. There wasn't a real reason for her to have one. Only when she was with grandparents. NOW, she's 10 and we just bought her one on our Tmobile plan, she's on our mins. She does so many activities at school, before and after. Sometimes plans change, or times change. My dad picks up both my kids at school and he's horrible with his phone. So I know I can rely on her having hers. If she needs to pick up her younger brother, or inform her on anything that's going on with us, running late ect. I don't want to have to rely on the school leaving messages. I want to go directly to her. She's a very responsible child, we let her have a little room because of it.

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 3:32 PM

I think that maybe when my child is at the age where sleepover start, or when she will start going to other childrens houses by herself, then I will.

but only one that is made to make calls to only like 4 numbers or whatever.

Personally, I think it depends on the maturity level of the child, the needs, and the circumstances. My kids both have one - they are older but my daughter got hers at 12 and my son got his at 13. I have NEVER had issues iwth either one caused by them having them, but I cna see why other parents may have problems with it. You are the parent, you know your child better than anyone else, you have to do what you think is right!

I picked something other, because I just don't know. IMO it is different with every parent and I think it is the parent's choice on that matter. Just kind of something everyone has to choose or choose not to ! My baby is only almost 4 and she def. has no need for one now LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)