Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need some opinions....

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 3:27 PM
  • 16 Replies

Since my husband was laid off, we've been extremely short on cash. We're able to pay our bills on time (thankfully), but there isn't money for much else.

Mothers day is coming up. Every year since 2007 we've gone to the zoo, just dd, DH & I. It's all I ask for throughout the year. Something for us to do as a family that is really fun. We always pack our lunch in a cooler and go out to eat at the picnic tables instead of spending a fortune at the food places inside. This year, it does not fit into our budget at all :(  it's really getting to me. I know it doesn't sound that important, but it really is to me.

So here is my dilemma. I have a ring my mom gave me that I'm thinking about selling to get the money to go. It was the ring my dad got her for their anniversary the year before they got divorced... I've never felt that it meant that much. Considering I remember that year very well & it involved alot of arguing & my mother throwing things. To me, the ring was almost like my dads last attempt to make her happy & it failed. It didn't seem like a big deal to her when she gave it to me, considering she was selling jewelry herself and asked if I wanted it. The only comment my dad ever made when he saw me with it was, "I paid a sh8tload for that damn thing".

I'm torn, I don't wear it much, it usually just sits in my jewelry box except for when I'm getting dressed up. I have other rings she's given me....... I just need some opinions... Should I sell it? Has anyone ever done anything like this?

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 3:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Shauna71904
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 3:29 PM

if it has no value to you sell it dear

LovinMy2Girlz
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 3:32 PM

Which is more important? A day trip with you, your husband and dd or a ring your father gave your mom while they were on rocky ground? To ME personally, a day with my husband and daughters win hands down. Sell the ring and enjoy your Mother's Day!

primadonna
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 3:36 PM

I would have it professionally appraised by a reputable jeweler.  Good luck.  If you need help with a budget, feel free to join my group.  I wish you well!

KristaP13
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 3:37 PM

That's how I feel, it would be different if the ring came from a "happy time" but it was the year before they got divorced... It almost symbolizes a failed bribe attempt from my dad...

Quoting LovinMy2Girlz:

Which is more important? A day trip with you, your husband and dd or a ring your father gave your mom while they were on rocky ground? To ME personally, a day with my husband and daughters win hands down. Sell the ring and enjoy your Mother's Day!

KristaP13
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 3:38 PM

Thanks for the advice. Would you know if they charge for appraisals?

Quoting primadonna:

I would have it professionally appraised by a reputable jeweler.  Good luck.  If you need help with a budget, feel free to join my group.  I wish you well!

LokisMama
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 3:38 PM

I agree with this.

Quoting LovinMy2Girlz:

KristaP13
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 3:42 PM

bump any more?

LokisMama
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 3:43 PM

Already gave you my 2 cents, but here's a bump for ya.

KristaP13
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 3:45 PM

Quoting LokisMama:

Already gave you my 2 cents, but here's a bump for ya.

bethmoore71
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 3:46 PM

Appraisals at jewelry stores are free. Go to at least 3 shops that also buy jewelry, so that you can be assured to get top value when you sell.

Quoting KristaP13:

Thanks for the advice. Would you know if they charge for appraisals?

Quoting primadonna:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)