Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Car Seats Expire????

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 5:01 PM
  • 44 Replies

Ok maybe I'm stupid or something but I never knew this. I know that if you get in an accident you shouldn't continue to use the car seat, but I was talking with my SIL this weekend and she told me that 5 years after the manufacture date on your car seat it expires. She said the plastic begins to deteriorate so it is not considered safe in a crash. I looked this up and it's true! There was a story of a lady I think in Michigan that bought a car seat from some department store and when she got in an accident she was sited because the car seat her 2 year old was in had expired! She said she just bought it a year before but never checked the manufactures date. I didn't either, I would never have thoughtto. Am I the only one who didn't nkow this? And how can stores get away with selling car seats that will expire within a year??? Does this make sense to anyone?

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 5:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
college.mom
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 5:01 PM

Not all expire after 5 years my Sunshine Kids Radian expires 10 years after made.

SuperPickle
by Ruby Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 5:03 PM

It all depends on the manufacturer. Some are 5 some are 6-7 or even up to 10. Your car seat should say on it when it expires.

The plastics start to wear down so it is best to replace them.

that is the first thing I check when I buy a new seat. If it is close(within 3 -4 years) to expiring I will bring it back

ashleyrenee24
by Ashley on Apr. 19, 2010 at 5:03 PM

Here's a video showing what happens when you use an expired car seat.

awooding
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 5:06 PM

Yeah, I knew this.

I don't know why retailers sell carseat so close to their expiration date, but they also do not always pull recalled items either. *shrugs* Profits.

Cavalrybaby02
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 5:07 PM

I knew this too, and I always check their seats for expiration dates when I buy them.

sallymoon
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 5:08 PM

Radians have an 8 year lifespan.  See page 7 of the manual.  Most car seats have a 6 year lifespan, a few have only 5, a few have a 7 or 8 year lifespan.  When the lifespan is not known, it is best to assume 5 years.

OP, it is VERY common for people to not know that car seats expire.  From my experience, that seems to be the majority.  If I had a dollar for every expired car seat I saw on Cragslist, I could quit my job.

Quoting college.mom:

Not all expire after 5 years my Sunshine Kids Radian expires 10 years after made.

Child Passenger Safety Technician

MamaPeanut
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 5:10 PM

Yep, they sure do.  The length depends on the brand, some seats expire 5 years after the DOM (date of manufacture) and some last 8-10 years. 

You can always find the EXp date on the seat, either a sticker or engraving that will say "Do not use after (month) (year). 

Also, legally, stores cannot sell an expired seat, but it's buyer beware.  You have to check it when you buy it.  IF it's expired, you can take it back and they must give you a new one and destroy the expired seat.

Delirium003
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 5:12 PM

Might be a dumb question, but where do you find the expiration date? 

eeyorerdl
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 5:18 PM

whodathunk car seats would expire...

jahvarzionmomma
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 5:19 PM

usually its 10 years or more

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)