Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Migraines during pregnancy

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 5:23 PM
  • 10 Replies

So I went to my OB Thursday and told him I had been having horrible headaches for a few days and he said it sounded like migraines.  He told me to try a few things and if they werent better to call back.  I barely made it through the weekend...it was miserable, but I called today and they called in Tylenol 3...but said if they dont go away they are going to send me to a neurologist.  It's not due to high blood pressure (they checked that) and it doesnt help to be in a dark quiet room, drink tons of water, eat small meals all day etc...i tried everything he recommended.  Anyone else have to go to a neurologist for migraines?  If so what could it be?  And what do they do?  I hope they dont do an MRI...I had one last year and it was an open one, but I still hated it lol.  Thanks for any advice.

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 5:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SOB0313
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 5:24 PM

i get them all the time

calcalmommy
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 5:25 PM

Bump, my friend is going through the same thing....Want to see what people have to say!

themacs4
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 5:26 PM

I get them...pregnant or not...During pregnancy, my dr prescribed Midrin for them.  I have only taken one this pregnancy.  When I'm not pregnant, I usually take Imitrex and 800mg Ibruprofin.

JessicaNelson21
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 5:29 PM

I've NEVER had headaches that last more than a few hours...and this one has been going on for about a week straight.  The ONLY thing that really helps is when DH will rub a certain spot on the right side of my neck...I make him push really hard and the pain goes away, but comes right back when he stops.  He rubbed my neck for about an hour last night so I could fall asleep because I've been getting very little sleep because of this.  So, I'm sure the lack of sleep isn't helping the situation lol

KristaP13
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 5:31 PM

I've been having terrible migraines with this pregnancy also, my OB said if they don't get better that they're putting me on  a low does of blood pressure medicine. IDK... here's a bump! good luck.

knagsmom
by Silver Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 5:43 PM

well with both kids i had migrianes the whole time. with ds in 07 the doctor said there wasnt anything they could do. gave me tyenol 3 and said try to relax. however after a dizzy spell the did an amino and gave the baby a steroid for his lungs and a week later delivered him. with dd i was told again there is nothing we can do. so i suffered through the pregnancy. after that they did an mri and it was nothing. i hope thats ur case too that its nothing but maybe the preganancy. good luck

JessicaNelson21
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 8:14 PM

Thanks everyone.  I hope it's nothing.  I worry a lot, mainly because of all that went wrong with my oldest son while I was pregnant.  This is reassuring though!  I hope it is just pregnancy related.

Quoting knagsmom:

well with both kids i had migrianes the whole time. with ds in 07 the doctor said there wasnt anything they could do. gave me tyenol 3 and said try to relax. however after a dizzy spell the did an amino and gave the baby a steroid for his lungs and a week later delivered him. with dd i was told again there is nothing we can do. so i suffered through the pregnancy. after that they did an mri and it was nothing. i hope thats ur case too that its nothing but maybe the preganancy. good luck

halleys_mommy_1
by +Logan on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:01 PM

Quoting JessicaNelson21:

I've NEVER had headaches that last more than a few hours...and this one has been going on for about a week straight.  The ONLY thing that really helps is when DH will rub a certain spot on the right side of my neck...I make him push really hard and the pain goes away, but comes right back when he stops.  He rubbed my neck for about an hour last night so I could fall asleep because I've been getting very little sleep because of this.  So, I'm sure the lack of sleep isn't helping the situation lol

Oh babe join the club =( I have had a killer headache/migaine since feb 20th. Literally everyday I'm in pain. Nothing seems to help except taking my BP meds. But that only works for 2 hours then I have to wait another 6.

It's going to be a long 22 weeks =(

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***40**AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

blondieblue2
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:06 PM

My worst migraines were the couple months post delivery. Dr said from hormone changes. I take ibuprofen, imitrex and caffeine. Repeat. If that doesn't clear it up, family dr. gives shot of demerol & phenergan. The ones post delivery, I went to the ER twice because I was vomiting and incontinent of urine. Absolutely t he worst.

Good luck. They usually do an MRI to rule out a tumor.

FooLynRoo
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:13 PM

Ive had migraines since I was 7 .. still do till this day - but didn't have a single onewhile I was pregnant.

I had and EEG done and CT Scans and full allergy testing done when I was a preteen.

All a pain in the ass and finally told that I have food sensitivities and to avoid sodium, and preservatives...

it works.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)