Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OMG did anyone see the "Unschooling" video?!

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 6:22 PM
  • 10 Replies

I guess it's a lot more common than I thought because there are tons of videos on Youtube about it which i'll check out later but this video link is my first insight to the concept and Wow, I really can't believe it.

http://news.yahoo.com/video/health-15749655/extreme-parenting-radical-unschooling-19218933

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 6:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
isra1986
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 6:24 PM

Yeah, there is another post about it. It's not for me. I will homeschool and go by DD's pace, but she will have a structured day with a certain time period for school work, field trips and socializing and educational goals and deadlines to meet!
These kids are not being prepared for the "real world"

guam_mama
by Gold Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 6:29 PM

oh sorry didn't know about the other post 

misssy2000
by Ruby Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 6:29 PM

the video is very bias I hope because when I thought about unschooling it was nothing like that. These kids don't seem educated at all. How do you function without algebra? What if you need to get a job?? Is there a such a thing as unworking?? I thought unschooling was letting the child go in a path where they at some point can have a career in an area they desire without any set corriculum. Someone unschooled please explain??

inspain
by Ruby Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 6:32 PM

Right now I know 8 of them.  One family with two, two families with three each.  The family with two and one of the others with three have kids that are doing really, really well.  Social, smart, happy, creative, I'm really impressed.  The other family has three of the most backward, messed up kids I've ever met.  They will be the future grocery baggers of their hometown.  They know absolutely NOTHING about life, math, reading and the world.  They are 4, 8 and 11.  It's appalling. 

We take a pretty relaxed approach to homeschooling, no set schedule, no set agenda, no real timetable.  But DD is learning two other languages besides her own and she's well ahead of what we can figure out as "grade level".  Today all we did was read in Spanish and learn Morse code and fix the toilet.  We may not be structured, but I don't think I'd be comfortable with "radical unschooling".

misssy2000
by Ruby Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 6:35 PM

yea, I think that it does not matter how you structure it as ong as the kids are learning but these kids do not learn basic math skills I dont see how they can get a job later on in life. That said I think its just like the media to get the worst exaple of unschooling and then act like that is what unschooling its.

Quoting inspain:

Right now I know 8 of them.  One family with two, two families with three each.  The family with two and one of the others with three have kids that are doing really, really well.  Social, smart, happy, creative, I'm really impressed.  The other family has three of the most backward, messed up kids I've ever met.  They will be the future grocery baggers of their hometown.  They know absolutely NOTHING about life, math, reading and the world.  They are 4, 8 and 11.  It's appalling. 

We take a pretty relaxed approach to homeschooling, no set schedule, no set agenda, no real timetable.  But DD is learning two other languages besides her own and she's well ahead of what we can figure out as "grade level".  Today all we did was read in Spanish and learn Morse code and fix the toilet.  We may not be structured, but I don't think I'd be comfortable with "radical unschooling".

guam_mama
by Gold Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 6:42 PM

i really hope so misssy because those kids in the video (and their mother) seem a mess LOL

Quoting misssy2000:

yea, I think that it does not matter how you structure it as ong as the kids are learning but these kids do not learn basic math skills I dont see how they can get a job later on in life. That said I think its just like the media to get the worst exaple of unschooling and then act like that is what unschooling its.

Quoting inspain:

catholicmamamia
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 6:43 PM

(poor representation of unschooling) 

Owner/Moderator of these groups, please feel free to join!

AP MOMS     CRUNCHY    LLLCAFEMOM    BF MOMS    NATURAL PG 

Lauriemom
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 6:43 PM

Many people say that about homeschoolers  in general;  I am not against home schooling, in fact I wanted to do it.  Just offering the perspective

Quoting isra1986:

Yeah, there is another post about it. It's not for me. I will homeschool and go by DD's pace, but she will have a structured day with a certain time period for school work, field trips and socializing and educational goals and deadlines to meet!

isra1986
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 6:47 PM

With home schooling, a child gets the same education as their peers in public school. They will be prepared to get a job and support themself. If an "unschooled" child decides they want to skip math, science, english, etc and they are allowed to do that that leaves them unprepared.

Quoting Lauriemom:

Many people say that about homeschoolers  in general;  I am not against home schooling, in fact I wanted to do it.  Just offering the perspective

Quoting isra1986:

mommy2alissa
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 6:49 PM

i see lazy ass parrents and kids with no future....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)