Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is there Adult protective services???

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 6:29 PM
  • 11 Replies

The girl next store is mentally challenged.  She is almost 40 i think.  And i have a very strong feeling her parents are not treating her right.  Is there like an adult CPS?  Im trying to find out if there is one in my area but am coming up short

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 6:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MzSeXyC
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 6:30 PM

im pretty sure there is.

bump. 

mrs.sgt
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 6:31 PM

yes there is.  it should be part of the social services dept.

okhsmom

what about calling United Way and ask about an areawide aging agency of some sort.  I bet they can direct you.

mommy22boyz357

yes. Just call the regular one. I have an uncle who is mentally challenged, some people called saying they thought he wasn't being taken care of (he was, he told them some lies) and CPS checked it out just like they would child abuse or neglect.

babygirlsmom314
by Corinne on Apr. 19, 2010 at 6:33 PM

I am sure you could call CPS and they can tell you who to call.  Or even the non-emergency line to the police department.

Click above to join in.  You too could win a trophy and have fun doing it.

allurasmamma
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 6:33 PM

Call the area of aging and ask them what to do.

JADIEBUG
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 6:35 PM

Adult Protective Services (APS)

Each county has an APS agency to help elder adults (65 years and older) and dependent adults (18-64 who are disabled), when these adults are unable to meet their own needs, or are victims of abuse, neglect or exploitation.

County APS agencies investigate reports of abuse of elders and dependent adults who live in private homes and hotels or hospitals and health clinics when the abuser is not at staff member. (The Licensing & Certification program of the California Department of Health Services handles cases of abuse by a member of a hospital or health clinic.) County APS staff evaluates abuse cases and arranges for services such as advocacy, counseling, money management, out-of-home placement, or conservatorship.

AutymsMommy
by Ruby Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 6:35 PM

Do you have a Department of Social Services in your area?

Around here, the DSS is the larger department that houses mental health, CPS, and all of the human services. DSS also provides for adult welfare.

I am a Private School sending, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Homework Helping, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mother. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child - I will do that, Thank You. I believe that a woman's place is in the home taking care of her house, children and husband. I am submissive and proud, my husband is head of my home. I am a proud, traditional Roman Catholic, as is my husband... Yes we are teaching our children that The Church is the only Church.               Aimee

Swtmama62205
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 6:46 PM

thanks so much

devasmom
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 6:47 PM

Yes, there is such an agency. It is called Adult Protective Services. You should find it with county social services listings.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)