Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

pacifier question

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 8:00 PM
  • 16 Replies

How do you break a 2 year old of a pacifier

My friend has had alot of trouble breaking her kid... .and she wanted some advice to break her.

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 8:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Alexsangel07
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 8:03 PM

BUMP!

Daytripn
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 8:03 PM

Throw it in the trash.......

AZM
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 8:04 PM

I don't really know my kids never had one but my cousin when cold turkey with her son

MalibuMommy
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 8:07 PM

BUMP!

Vanmari
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 8:09 PM

Quoting Daytripn:

Throw it in the trash.......

starrymonkey
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 8:11 PM

I have no idea, thankfully, DS never took to one.  If I'd ever seen him start to suck on his thumb I'd have given it to him - because I can take away a pacifier, but I can't cut off his thumbs!  However, he really never bothered.

CafeMom Tickers

Proud mom to a Sensational kid with SPD

As a WAHM, I can help you change your physical and financial future!  Ask me how!

http://www.beachbodycoach.com/esuite/home/desireepurvis/

starrymonkey
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 8:13 PM

Oh, but my mother said that when she wanted us to stop with bottles/pacifiers/what-have-you she would make a point of saying it wasn't something big girls needed - only something babies needed - and when we were ready to be big girls, we were welcome to put ... in the garbage.  She would go through that routine with each of us every day for about a week before suddenly we'd just get up and toss it in the garbage and never look back.

CafeMom Tickers

Proud mom to a Sensational kid with SPD

As a WAHM, I can help you change your physical and financial future!  Ask me how!

http://www.beachbodycoach.com/esuite/home/desireepurvis/

Stevensmomma
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 8:13 PM

Just take it away slowly like just give it during naps and bed time and then just bed time and finally take it away all together it also really depends on the child but I would do it slowly it seems to work better and it causes less sleepless nights..

Radarma
by Platinum Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 8:16 PM

Like a band aid removal...QUICK AND DONE.

We simply started talking about how they did not need this anymore and "bik kids now...yadda yadda..." a couple of days before we were planning to take them away. Each of the kids ended up making the decision themselves and threw them in the trash.

For your friend, if she had trouble breaking her child from the pacifier, she was probably too soft about the process. If you show ANY bit of back-tracking/sympathy, the child will latch onto that and run with it. And that does not mean it has to be a "big mommy meanie moment", lol.
Just no ifs ands or buts about it kinda thing.

:)

Radarma
by Platinum Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 8:17 PM

Quoting Stevensmomma:

Just take it away slowly like just give it during naps and bed time and then just bed time and finally take it away all together it also really depends on the child but I would do it slowly it seems to work better and it causes less sleepless nights..

LOL I just reponded and pretty much said the opposite, us moms are so unique.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)