Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

about to become a single mom

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 8:12 PM
  • 8 Replies

me and my boyfriend are about to break up. i am about to become a single mom and scared what do i do.  i have custody of my 3 year old ds. i am going later this month and getting custody of my 2 year old dd. what else do  i need to do before he leaves.

he has been talking to his ex and has been going to see his daughter for the past couple of weeks.

what do i do to be prepared when i am single again.

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 8:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
kcook55
by Platinum Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 8:13 PM

are any the bills in his name if so i would change it beore he leaves cuz he could be an a$$ and have them turned off and leave you and your kids in the dark i'm a single mom too its hard some days but others are good

dmcarpenter619
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 8:15 PM

First believe in yourself! You can do this.  Make sure all bills are transfered over, take him off any lease or contracts that you have, when you go for custody make sure that you have a child support agreement.  I know this is hard, but you can do it. 

Wendy_June
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 8:16 PM

BUMP!

Daytripn
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 8:19 PM

Don't pay bills in his name, bank roll every dime. Change utilities, rental agreement, and other things into your name, get a job and arrange for daycare if you haven't already. If you have anything of value you think he might take, get it out of your house asap! Change the locks as soon as he's gone, or set his crap on the porch and go ahead and change them. Also change ALL your pin numbers he may know, hide debit, credit cards, keys in a safe place.

nemiller
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 8:19 PM

is the ex he's talking to the mother of his child?  have their conversations been about that, or are they inappropriate?  i think if you're breaking up with him just because he's talking to the mother of his child without proof of anything inappropriate going on, you should take a step back and think how you'd feel if it was YOU and YOUR kids.  wouldn't you want him to still see them even if you aren't together?

if there's other issues at hand, just start with the big stuff.  where will you live?  how will you make money?  are there any shared bills/utilities/big items?  when you go to file for custody, ask about having child support and visitation orders put in place for the kids.

Swtmama62205
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 8:22 PM

BUMP!

alouya21
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 8:24 PM

all the bills are in my name. i will be moving in to a low income apartment. we dont get along anymore. we have been together for 4 years for the kids.

single_and_preg
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 8:36 PM

If your not already a memeber of the single moms group, you should join! You can get advice there too!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)