Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Civil Union Vs. Gay Marriage?

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 9:00 PM
  • 8 Replies

Does anyone know the specfic differences? Is it just the name or something more? What exactly are the differences. Trying to make sure I have a accurate understanding.

Thanks in advance.

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 9:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Apr. 19, 2010 at 9:03 PM

I don't know that there is a, "technical", difference.  I think for many, including myself, the term marriage correlates with a religious or spiritual ceremony and a civil union is more a legal proceeding.

paganbaby
by Ruby Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 9:07 PM

Oh crap. I guess I never a got married then. Damn. I`ll have to break the news to my husband sad

Quoting Dzyre1115:

I don't know that there is a, "technical", difference.  I think for many, including myself, the term marriage correlates with a religious or spiritual ceremony and a civil union is more a legal proceeding.

GMMOLLY
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 9:10 PM

a civil marriage give rights such as inheritance,  and being able to act on behalf of the other during  illness if necessary, and Insurance that would then cover the partner and things like that, without granting te sanctity of actual mariage, like a compromise  that just covers the legal ends

SylviaNCali
by Silver Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 9:15 PM

OK thanks. So would people who are for gay marriages be OK will going to civil unions? Are the purpose for supporting gay marriage over civil unions would mean that I am fighting for the name sake of marriage?

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Apr. 19, 2010 at 9:17 PM

I think civil unions are legal rights and have nothing to do with marriage.  Just recognition under the law that you are legal next of kin.  Marriage in my opinion should be ceremonial and have no legal standing.  I think the separation of the two is a reasonable compromise to the current issue.

Quoting SylviaNCali:

OK thanks. So would people who are for gay marriages be OK will going to civil unions? Are the purpose for supporting gay marriage over civil unions would mean that I am fighting for the name sake of marriage?

SylviaNCali
by Silver Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 9:23 PM

Quoting Dzyre1115:

I think civil unions are legal rights and have nothing to do with marriage.  Just recognition under the law that you are legal next of kin.  Marriage in my opinion should be ceremonial and have no legal standing.  I think the separation of the two is a reasonable compromise to the current issue.

Quoting SylviaNCali:

Ok so it is what I thought. Thanks for clearing that up.

GMMOLLY
by on Apr. 20, 2010 at 10:27 AM

I would like to add a element to this. Those who oppose gay marriage based on the sanctity of marriage being a man/woman privilege. Why is it that this same sanctity is not upheld and revered regarding Marriage and cheating and marriage and divorce. In a society that has so little regard for that sanctity so they can indulge in anti marriage practices, why does it become so all important, just to restrict the rights of others.  It's a conflict of belief and is no different than saying sin is sin(when you do it) but not when I do it.

mrs.sgt
by on Apr. 20, 2010 at 10:29 AM

damn I'm not married then either!  oh well as long as the military and the IRS thinks we are we're good lol!

Quoting paganbaby:

Oh crap. I guess I never a got married then. Damn. I`ll have to break the news to my husband sad

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)