Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Promiscuous Women Cause Earthquakes

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:19 PM
  • 58 Replies

Iranian Cleric: Promiscuous Women Cause Earthquakes

SCHEHEREZADE FARAMARZI | 04/19/10 01:35 PM | AP

Mideast Iran Montazeri

BEIRUT - A senior Iranian cleric says women who wear immodest clothing and behave promiscuously are to blame for earthquakes.

Iran is one of the world's most earthquake-prone countries, and the cleric's unusual explanation for why the earth shakes follows a prediction by President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad that a quake is certain to hit Tehran and that many of its 12 million inhabitants should relocate.

"Many women who do not dress modestly ... lead young men astray, corrupt their chastity and spread adultery in society, which (consequently) increases earthquakes," Hojatoleslam Kazem Sedighi was quoted as saying by Iranian media. Sedighi is Tehran's acting Friday prayer leader.

Women in the Islamic Republic are required by law to cover from head to toe, but many, especially the young, ignore some of the more strict codes and wear tight coats and scarves pulled back that show much of the hair.

"What can we do to avoid being buried under the rubble?" Sedighi asked during a prayer sermon Friday. "There is no other solution but to take refuge in religion and to adapt our lives to Islam's moral codes."

• The blame game: 9/11. The tsunami. Katrina. All the gays' fault, according to certain far-right wing nuts. Are they crazy?

9/11. The tsunami. Katrina. All the gays' fault, according to certain far-right wing nuts. Are they crazy?

Officials, the federal government, and even residents who did not evacuate in time were blamed for the horrific aftermath of Hurricane Katrina   when it pummeled the Gulf Coast in August. The Christian right, however, picked a different target. In a nod to tradition, they blamed us. Gay men and lesbians, they said, were the culprits, and so were their henchmen--those who refused to condemn New Orleans's hedonistic ways.

"We take no joy in the death of innocent people," Marcavage--a former Clinton White House intern--told one reporter. "But we believe that God is in control of the weather. The day Bourbon Street and the French Quarter was flooded was the day that 125,000 homosexuals were going to be celebrating sin in the streets. We're calling it an act of God."

Marcavage is hardly charting new territory. Christians have long blamed gays for natural and man-made disasters. Ever since an Old Testament God destroyed the Sodomites Sodomites

insisted on having sexual intercourse with angels disguised as men. [O.T.: Gen. 19]

In 1998, televangelist

and erstwhile politician Pat Robertson warned the city of Orlando, Fla., that a gay celebration the city hosted would bring the wrath of God--in the form of a hurricane or other disaster--upon the entire city. Celebrating homosexuality "will bring about terrorist bombs, it'll bring earthquakes, tornadoes, and possibly a meteor," he predicted.

In 2001, Jerry Falwell blamed gays and lesbians (along with other such "sniners" as feminists, "abortionists," and the American Civil Liberties Union American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU), nonpartisan organization devoted to the preservation and extension of the basic rights set forth in the U.S. Constitution.

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amayabrianna
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:21 PM

WOW!!! Seriously?!?!?! I would think that we would be nothing but one huge earthquale in the US if that was true!! What a bunch of idiots to say that!!

msmoody
by Ruby Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:22 PM

I'm sorry..

*hangs head*

mrs.sgt
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:23 PM

LOL!!!!  You naughty girl!

Quoting msmoody:

I'm sorry..

*hangs head*

sati769leigh

i claim haiti then

TexasAngel08

OMFG. That is so ridiculous. LOL

babyfat5
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:24 PM

Oh I thought earthquakes were caused by making deals with the devil? Or global warming. I mean they couldn't possible be caused by you know,  nature like they always have. Even before man arrived on the planet, even before we had 7 contents.

mrs.sgt
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:25 PM

my husband's comment was "yeah, in the bedroom...bow chicka bow wow."

MommySwiggles
by Platinum Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:26 PM

rolling on floor

RissaBusch
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:26 PM

No, remeber Haiti was cause by people not being Christian and practicing voodoo.  So you can't claim haiti unless you do voodoo.

Quoting sati769leigh:

i claim haiti then

punkmama27
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:27 PM

Well damn, the U.S. better expect a 10.5 now, the whole continent's going to split in two, California's going to fall in the Pacific and anyone in the Midwest better start building an ark for when the Atlantic comes in. We're doomed.

At least I'll have a beach in Colorado!

(in all seriousness... *blinks* just wow.)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)