Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you homeschool and what are your reasons for doing so??

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 11:05 PM
  • 41 Replies

I answered a post the other night referencing homeschooling and a few posters suggested I make a homeschooling post, so I am and I am curious to read the answers. If you homeschool, what are your reasons for it and are you annoyed with the way society portrays the "typical" homeschool family (especially since NO homeschool family is typical)? Do you practice unschooling??

We are a homeschooling family but have only been doing so for a year. My oldest is only four so we do a lot of learning through play right now, although he LOVES doing workbooks. We go to the library a few times a week, attend storytimes, do homeschool swim lessons at the Y, and have joined the Park and Rec soccer team. We have chosen to homeschool b/c we feel we can do a better more efficient job educating our children than strangers can.

baby

baby

baby

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 11:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
omgamomie
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 11:06 PM

BUMP!

anetrnlov
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 11:14 PM

We've been homeschooling for two years.  We do a combination of traditional schooling with unschooling.

We homeschool because the schools in our area are not as good as well feel they should be.  We are able to cater to the individual learning styles of our children and we are able to give them the individual attention they need. 

We also homeschool because with individualized learning comes the ability to move ahead as the child is ready and stay behind as the child needs....if Bryce excels at fractions he can move to something else instead of having to continually repeat the subject because two other kids in his class do not get it. 

Another reason we homeschool is because we enjoy it.  Each year we have talked to our oldest (the only one being formally schooled right now) about his feelings about being homeschooled versus going to "regular" school and it doesn't bother him that he isn't at the same school as the other kids.

I would be lying if I said that safety isn't another reason.  We do not shelter our children from the world but homeschooling certainly relieves me of ever having to worry that I am going to get a call saying a kid is shooting up his school or handing our baggies of Heroine to his classmates.

anetrnlov
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 11:15 PM

I should also add that my experience with homebound (which is like homeschooling that the state does for kids who are too sick to come to school) was what interested me in homeschooling.  I loved being on homebound.  I went from a C student to an A student.

RiverDaughter
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 11:18 PM

Mine is only 15mo old so I can't really directly answer the question, but I'm interested in what others have to say.

We plan on homeschooling or private school (older grades) if money allows.

We want our children to have a Classical Christian education and needles to say that's not what public schools are offering.

i.heart.rachel
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 11:19 PM

I don't care what society thinks of us homeschooling. We are going to HS through the summer and decide if that is what is right for us this August when it's time to enroll them in public school. We will not do unschooling, but more of a traditional homeschooling. I have lessons planned out for them for the entire summer in every subject already. The girls love workbooks, worksheets, etc so unschooling wouldn't really work for us right now anyway. We *NEED* and *THRIVE* on structure in this house. Though I'd love to be a little more relaxed, it's just not "us". :) Rachel has agreed to let me homeschool next year (this was an issue with us) as long as this summer goes smoothly. So, we will reevaluate in July. :)

slm047

I don't currently homeschool because my daughter is only 2 and I'm pregnant with another.

I plan on homeschooling though. I just feel that a lot of schools spend a lot of their time sort of "babysitting" kids instead of being able to thoroughly teach them. I would rather not worry about multiple behavioral issues with other children, the violence, and know that my child's education is in good hands.

anetrnlov

Rachel changed her MIND!?!?!?!?!?

I got so excited I replied for I read all the way to the end. lol Ignore me.

Quoting i.heart.rachel:

I don't care what society thinks of us homeschooling. We are going to HS through the summer and decide if that is what is right for us this August when it's time to enroll them in public school. We will not do unschooling, but more of a traditional homeschooling. I have lessons planned out for them for the entire summer in every subject already. The girls love workbooks, worksheets, etc so unschooling wouldn't really work for us right now anyway. We *NEED* and *THRIVE* on structure in this house. Though I'd love to be a little more relaxed, it's just not "us". :) Rachel has agreed to let me homeschool next year (this was an issue with us) as long as this summer goes smoothly. So, we will reevaluate in July. :)

omgamomie
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 11:20 PM

Good luck!

Quoting i.heart.rachel:

workinghorse
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 11:21 PM

We homeschool for many reasons.  The schools where we live stink, safety, all the typical reasons.  We also homeschool because my DD is a gymnast and she needs to have the freedom to travel and all that gymnastics entails.  There is no "right" answer as to why to homeschool,  as what is right for one family is not right for another.

Riahsmom1
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 11:24 PM

I am homeschooling my dd who is three and I will continue to do so.  She is now reading beginner books and is smarter than any kid I know and she sets her own pace so I'm in no way pushing her.  I think kids should have the chance to learn that way and to be taught morals and ethics from their parents and not have to be taught all the garbage public schools teach.  I don't want my kids to be taught that it's "wrong" to pray just because a few kids moms protested and I don't want the Gov. programming them to be little mindless idiots either lol!  I don't care if I sound paranoid, it's how I feel=).  I also think the student teacher ratio is pretty bad and that children deserve more one on one learning time than most teachers can provide. 

having a baby

Positive Parents..........Right this way:

http://www.cafemom.com/group/107129

icon

This signature is very tall. Try to keep it shorter than this green section.

This group is for moms who want their children to be respectful and well-rounded individuals without sacrificing their individuality and maintaining a great relationship with them throughout it all!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)