Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Letter to my kids' teachers re:vacation

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2010 at 2:05 PM
  • 46 Replies

We are going on vacation and the kids will miss almost 2 weeks of school. We have a large family and have scheduled our vacation in the "off-season" in an effort to save money. This is our 2nd family vacation EVER. We don't do this often, so please don't bash us for pulling our kids out of school to spend some quality time together.

I'm trying to write a letter to the teachers and I'm not quite sure how to word it. Some of the High School teachers have already been giving the oldest two kids a hard time. Teachers asked if we could reschedule and even said "that is what Spring break was for" and basically telling the kids they (the teachers) will flunk them. I'm not sure how serious they are or if they are just giving the kids a hard time.

Below is what I have come up with so far.

Quote:

CHILD's NAME will not be in school May 4-14 as we will be out of town. In an effort to keep his/her grades at a passing percentage and not fall too far behind I am contacting each of his/her teachers to see how each of you would prefer to this situation.

Thank you for your cooperation. I look forward to your reply.

My name

my email

phone number

UPDATE: Thank you for all the replies!

We have 2 in High School, 1 in Middle School, and 2 in Elementary School. I have gone to each of the schools and talked with the Office Managers, Principals, and attendance person. We live in a small enough town that all they know who I am when I walk in the door.

The policy here is that if they are absent 10 or more days they are dis-enrolled. They will be gone 9 days.

bio of 3, step of 1, bonus of 2, love them all

by on Apr. 23, 2010 at 2:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
teri4lance
by Platinum Member on Apr. 23, 2010 at 2:07 PM

I would refer to your school district's truancy laws before going thru with this. you may find that you will not have the law on your side if the teachers do not allow them to make up the lost work. As for trying to get their work ahead, I would call each of them and have a personal conversatio wtih them to get their school work ahead of time, and give assurances that the kids will complete the work while out.

Mel30248
by on Apr. 23, 2010 at 2:08 PM

I think your letter is just fine. Teachers dont have a say over every aspect of their students lives. I find nothing wrong with taking your kids out of school for a week or two here & there through out their school career. It's healthy to get out to take a break to see other places & spend time with family. It's just as important in my eyes as schooling is.

Suggest to the teachers to do some work while on the trip possibly. Maybe they could write reports or essays on topics or their trip in general. My teachers would do that with me sometimes have me write an essay about what I learned on my trip for some extra credit. Of course any essay would have to be written well grammer correct, ect. Rough draft & final drafts & refrence page as well. Just a thought but good luck hope all the teachers work with you.

aleciamarie
by on Apr. 23, 2010 at 2:09 PM

Dear Teacher:

Our family will be taking a vacation from May 4-14.  Please send home any work that will missed during that time by May 3.  I will ensure that my child completes each assignment as asked and all work will be turned in May 17, upon their arrival back at school.  Please let me know of any exams, quizzes, and such that will missed so that I can coordinate with my child a time to make them up.

I thank you in advance for your cooperation.  Should you have any question, please feel free to contact me.

Thank you,

Mom

email

phone number

Josslynsmommy

I just found a little wording thing to correct. Otherwise I think it sounds good. When I went on vacation during school the teachers gave me the regular homework that the kids were doing and I did it on vacation.

CHILD's NAME will not be in school May 4-14 as we will be out of town. In an effort to keep his/her grades at a passing percentage and not fall too far behind I am contacting each of his/her teachers to see how each of you would prefer to HANDLE this situation.

Thank you for your cooperation. I look forward to your reply.

My name

my email

phone number

stefvan

If you did that here, your high schoolers wouldn't get credit for their classes.  You better check into that.  They only can miss 5 days here unless on homebound or no credits.

Also - they don't have to allow them to make up work for unexcused absences (in our district).

audriesmommy
by on Apr. 23, 2010 at 2:10 PM

Teachers will give students independent study packets but it is the students responsiblity to schedule any tests or speech makeups etc., that they missed.  IF the kids do not schedule a make up then the teacher can give them a F on the test.

JMVITT

Well, the teachers have a point.  My parents would never think of pulling us from school for vacation.  We always went in the summer time.  Not bashing.  I think you need to go to the principal of their school and make sure it is okay for them to miss that much school.  I only say that because Vacation to have fun is not a valid reason to miss so much school. It could be deemed as delinquency of a minor from the schools attendance policy.  If there was a death in the family, or an illness then it wouldn't be a problem. 

StructuredChaos

You may need to check the student handbook.  In my county (GA) if you miss more than 10 days, you will fail, period.  Unless you have a medical excuse.  Even then, if possible they connect you with the home bound teacher and they send your work to you so that you can keep up.  If this is not the case in your area, then I would simply state they will be absent, please send any work they will miss to be completed and turned in by xxx date.

momofhnd
by Nugget Nabber on Apr. 23, 2010 at 2:13 PM

here you are only allowed to miss a certain amout of school..or they can fail you..

bluesky51201
by Platinum Member on Apr. 23, 2010 at 2:13 PM

Two weeks is a lot of time to miss, especially in high school.  At the school I went to vacation was not considered an excused absence and it was up to the teachers if they allowed you to complete the work you missed.  I would also check and see how many days they can miss.  At my son's school they can only miss 10 before problems start to arise.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN