Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

can you make pudding without milk?

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2010 at 5:42 PM
  • 16 Replies

My little boy has congenital lactose intolerance.  No milk at all in his diet. 

He found daddy's pudding cups for work and was in his room crying with it trying to get it open.  With my explanation of it making him sick and how he can't have it he only became more upset. 

Is there anyway I can make him pudding without milk?

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

I sometimes come off mean/rude, please don't be offended I really am trying to be nice.
by on Apr. 23, 2010 at 5:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SuzyQ007
by on Apr. 23, 2010 at 5:54 PM

Can he drink soy milk? You may be able to make it with that.

Be True To Yourself

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Apr. 23, 2010 at 5:54 PM

Does he have an intolerance to soy products?  There may be a soy pudding in stores.  I feel bad for the fella.  Too many things have milk in them even if they dont seem like they do.

carterscutie85
by *Shanny's Stalker* on Apr. 23, 2010 at 5:57 PM

Pudding requires some type of milk

Funny story though. My niece was attempting to make pudding.  She followed the directions and put it in the fridge. A little while later she calls my sister wanting to know why it hadn't formed and was still all liquidy. My sister asked if she followed the directions very carefully and she said

"yeah, I followed them. I put the water in and everything. I don't know what I am doing wrong!!" 

I think my sister almost died from laughing lmao especially considering my niece was 18 at the time hahaha

ReachtotheStars
by Platinum Member on Apr. 23, 2010 at 5:57 PM

he hasn't really ever had soy except baby formula and that made him sick, but there is soy in other foods he eats I might try it. 

He drinks almond milk. 

hautemama83
by Nichole on Apr. 23, 2010 at 5:58 PM

Quoting ReachtotheStars:

he hasn't really ever had soy except baby formula and that made him sick, but there is soy in other foods he eats I might try it. 

He drinks almond milk. 

You can use that

mobilemom0608
by on Apr. 23, 2010 at 5:59 PM

soy? rice milk? lacto free milk? my son is alergic to milk.. we use those

moniquinha
by on Apr. 23, 2010 at 5:59 PM

I made a tapioca pudding for my son with hemp milk, which is the only type he can drink (he's allergic to everything, believe me you have it easy. LOL)

Get yourself a box of large pearl tapioca and follow the directions to make the pudding, just sub a milk he can drink. You could try nut milks too like almond or hazelnut, or also rice milk. The hemp worked pretty well, but it has a strong seedy kind of taste which your son may not like. Try the almond, it doesn't taste too strong.

ReachtotheStars
by Platinum Member on Apr. 23, 2010 at 6:04 PM

thank you.  I wasn't sure you could use any other type of milk.  It says in bold on the box you must you milk. 

I really don't even think he will like it once I make it for him.  He also has autism and doesn't like anything mushy, or slimy.  Everything needs to be crunchy.  He is getting better with the help of his OT and can eat some foods now as long as they don't touch him.  Like they stay on the spoon until they get into his mouth. 

Quoting moniquinha:

I made a tapioca pudding for my son with hemp milk, which is the only type he can drink (he's allergic to everything, believe me you have it easy. LOL)

Get yourself a box of large pearl tapioca and follow the directions to make the pudding, just sub a milk he can drink. You could try nut milks too like almond or hazelnut, or also rice milk. The hemp worked pretty well, but it has a strong seedy kind of taste which your son may not like. Try the almond, it doesn't taste too strong.

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

I sometimes come off mean/rude, please don't be offended I really am trying to be nice.
moniquinha
by on Apr. 23, 2010 at 9:51 PM

Small world...my son has autism too. Are you doing GFCF diet? Is that why milk is out? My son is GFCF and he also has been tested for other food sensitivities. He can't have rice, most nuts, citrus fruits, coconuts, and a few other vegetables like peas.

Believe me...I know how you feel. There are so many limitations to this diet and when you add the fact that kids with autism are super picky and have sensory issues, I makes it that much harder. My son also doesn't like slimy things...he prefers crunchy or chewy. He is now on this kick where he only wants to eat things with his hands. He even eats his spaghetti noodles (made out of quinoa!) with his hands. Let me know if you need any other ideas. I  just found this chicken nugget recipe and cookie recipe that my son just loves.

Quoting ReachtotheStars:

thank you.  I wasn't sure you could use any other type of milk.  It says in bold on the box you must you milk. 

I really don't even think he will like it once I make it for him.  He also has autism and doesn't like anything mushy, or slimy.  Everything needs to be crunchy.  He is getting better with the help of his OT and can eat some foods now as long as they don't touch him.  Like they stay on the spoon until they get into his mouth. 

Quoting moniquinha:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN