Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Just wondering....not a bashing session, but I need to clarify something. *LONG EDIT*

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 1:12 AM
  • 106 Replies

In another post, I was called a "racist", because I said that some *NOT ALL* black people felt that they were somehow owed something because their ancestors were slaves to the whites.  I did clarify this in that post by saying that White people are the same way against blacks because some *NOT ALL* still feel superior to blacks. 

Now honestly, I don't consider myself racist at all. I know a few black people that have really made good for themselves and have succeeded, and I have also met a few that haven't.  White people are the same way!  It's not just the differences in race.  ALL people are like that. 

I was just curious to see if I am in the wrong.  If I am, then I really do apologize.  Like I said, I'm not racist, at least not to my knowledge.  Please let me know if I'm wrong.  I'm not trying to start drama. 

Edit:  I'm headed to bed, so if there's any questions that need explaining, I'll get to them tomorrow....I'm not just writing and leaving!!  ;)  G'night!

According to dictionary.com:

rac·ism

  -noun
a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.
Basically exactly what I said.  I DO believe that people should not hold on to the past, especially because of something that happened over 150 years ago.  But ok, even in the '50s there was segregation.  Not letting blacks attend white schools, restaurants and even drinking fountains and bathrooms.  I'm definitely not saying this is right.  Even now, there are groups(NAACP, etc) that defend the black person if they don't get something, they have black colleges(yes, they MIGHT let a white person in but wonder what the hell they're doing there), but it's that discrimination that's always torn people apart.  If they were to have an all-white college, they would be torn apart by so many people. 
This also goes the same way for whites too.  Many people are looked down upon for the amount of mony they make, the clothes they wear, or the amount of tattoos or earrings they have.  Look at some of the people on here as a perfect example(and I'm not mentioning names because honestly I don't know any...):  If you shop at walmart or garage sales you must be poor and white trash *like I said, an example, because I do both and I'm not "white trash".  Or if you shop at the expensive stores like Baby Gap or JC Penney's, you're a snob. It's stereotyping.  I honestly think stereotyping is a LOT different than racism. 
ster·e·o·type

1. conventional, formulaic, and oversimplified conception, opinion, or image.

2. One that is regarded as embodying or conforming to a set image or type.

3. Printing A metal printing plate cast from a matrix molded from a raised printing surface, such as type.

tr.v.   ster·e·o·typed, ster·e·o·typ·ing, ster·e·o·types
  1. To make a stereotype of.

2. To characterize by a stereotype: "Elderly Americans are the neglected sector of the fashion industry, stereotyped by blue hair and polyester pantsuits" (American Demographics).

3. To give a fixed, unvarying form to.

4. To print from a stereotype.

by on May. 2, 2010 at 1:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mstricey
by on May. 2, 2010 at 1:15 AM

What do you mean when you say white people are the same way against blacks?

Country_Momma89
by on May. 2, 2010 at 1:15 AM

I don't think you are, I agree with you.

mrs.phillips123
by on May. 2, 2010 at 1:17 AM

reading your post you did kinda come off as a little prejudice to me

joshswife07

I totally agree and im SICK of it.Im not racist but I think it all got worse when obama became president.but THATS JUST ME

bethanysmom1007

Quoting mstricey:

What do you mean when you say white people are the same way against blacks?

Ok sorry I didn't make any sense in that sentence....what I meant was that Whites have attitude towards blacks because the feel more superior to them, in the same way that blacks have attitude towards whites because of the whole slave thing.  *again...not all*

kisha89
by on May. 2, 2010 at 1:19 AM

i totally agree. its sad too. cuz in this day and age everyone is equal is how i see it. nobody is owed anything and nobody is "superior" to anybody else either.

mstricey
by on May. 2, 2010 at 1:20 AM

BTw I don't believe it was a racist comment. Not all black people feel like they are owed. I'm one of them, but the fact is our ancestors were slaves to white people.

bethanysmom1007
by on May. 2, 2010 at 1:21 AM

Quoting mrs.phillips123:

reading your post you did kinda come off as a little prejudice to me

Just curious...how? 

shecallsmemom04
by on May. 2, 2010 at 1:22 AM

i went to the gas station today.  while in line, the cashier(white guy) was telling the customer(black woman) that he couldn't sell her beer with no ID.  the woman decided to get all huffy and puffy and pull out the race card.  the guy was very polite and was simply just doing his job.  providing ID when you are buying tobacco or alcohol products is not a new thing.

IMO, the race card is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY overused.  it's used for literally everything.  and i find it old.

i happen to agree with you, and many of the black people i am friends with would also agree with you.

will fight for animals

hayliedlr
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2010 at 1:23 AM

i was told if a white person didnt like Obama, they were racist but its ok for blacks to not like him.  that came from a white person telling me. and i never say i am racist or not.  bc if i say i am not, than i am.  so i never say either way

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)