Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Nervous and not sleeping.......tornado?

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 1:26 AM
  • 68 Replies

So our area is currently on a tornado watch and flash flood warning. I have never dealt with this before in my life. Nervous. Sooo if there is a tornado or flash flood wth do I do? Do I hide in my tub with my kids? I know I sound like an idiot but I grew up where they don't have weather like this.

by on May. 2, 2010 at 1:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
M0M0F03
by on May. 2, 2010 at 1:30 AM

I was just watching the weather channel and saw a bunch of those...we don't have them here either...usually. So here is a bump.

Hope nothing comes your way!

queenamy
by on May. 2, 2010 at 1:30 AM

bump

adamjackie
by on May. 2, 2010 at 1:32 AM

Thanks ladies. My dh is sound asleep. I do not know how he can sleep through this. When the rain started coming down it was so loud that I looked outside to see wth was going on. It really is freaking me out! lol I feel like a baby.

adamjackie
by on May. 2, 2010 at 1:47 AM

bump

Kaelansmom
by on May. 2, 2010 at 1:50 AM

If you have a basement, get down there (if the sirens go off)

If not, bathroom or the most interior room of your home.... bathtub is good

If you have time, grab a matress (that is what they told us when I lived on Ft sill, OK) If not, grab blankets and pillows on your way to the room... cover your kids with your body and then cover you with blankets and pillows, or the matress ...

This is what I was taught in Texas and Oklahoma....

Hope nothing comes your way.

Kaelansmom
by on May. 2, 2010 at 1:51 AM

Don't feel bad either. My DH can sleep through the sirens... he has.

I am paranoid and keep everything ready during storms

adamjackie
by on May. 2, 2010 at 1:52 AM

Thank you so much. We have no basement but I will be in the tub if I have to. I grew up in Montana so I know what to do for a snow storm and feezing temps.

Quoting Kaelansmom:

If you have a basement, get down there (if the sirens go off)

If not, bathroom or the most interior room of your home.... bathtub is good

If you have time, grab a matress (that is what they told us when I lived on Ft sill, OK) If not, grab blankets and pillows on your way to the room... cover your kids with your body and then cover you with blankets and pillows, or the matress ...

This is what I was taught in Texas and Oklahoma....

Hope nothing comes your way.

sherry132
by Ruby Member on May. 2, 2010 at 1:53 AM

Well tornados are unlikely at this time of night. If there is a tornado then go to the interior of your home and crouch down covering your head with your hands. If you have small children then you want to cover them with yourself as best as possible. If your bathroom is in the interior of your house (meaning no windows) then the bath tub with a mattress or pillows is best.

As for the flash flood. That is mainly for roads and river areas. If you get caught in a flash flood you move as high as you can and wait for rescue.

In either scenario DO NOT GET IN YOUR CAR AND GO ANYWHERE. Once the tornado sirens go off it is unsafe and basically stupid to try to get to a shelter. You go there before the sirens.

Just remember DUCK

Go DOWN to the lowest level

Get UNDER something

COVER your head

KEEP in a shelter until the danger has passed.

Where are you?

carter210
by on May. 2, 2010 at 1:53 AM

I used to live in midwest so we have plenty of tornadoe experience.

Go to the lowest/most inside room in your house. Perferabley one without windows. If there are windows move away from them. Try to get in or under something heavy.. big wood table.. bathtub.. etc. Like the other mom said get something to cover yourself and stay low.

adamjackie
by on May. 2, 2010 at 1:53 AM

lol Me too. Have non parishables in a box with bottled water that I am getting ready to put in the tub just in case.

Quoting Kaelansmom:

Don't feel bad either. My DH can sleep through the sirens... he has.

I am paranoid and keep everything ready during storms

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)