Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

apparently this is a news alert...!

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 5:07 AM
  • 16 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you believe sexual orientation is something you are born with?

Options:

yes

usually

sometimes

no

other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 59

View Results

I was at a big birthday party for one of the girlfriends of DH's coworkers...so it was a bunch of military families gathered together.  I was taking care of my two little ones when I overheard a conversation that just irritated the crap out of me. 

A group of marines were discussing how gays are demanding respect because "now they're claiming to be born that way".  Really..?  Is this breaking news?  If I wasn't so busy with my kids, I would have set them straight...that yes, people are born that way, and this conversation has been going on for decades.

How many people still think this way?  Maybe I'm just in the minority or something.. =0(

*btw...this is not a drama post, so please don't bash me for my viewpoint*

by on May. 2, 2010 at 5:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Michelle2003mom
by on May. 2, 2010 at 5:12 AM

I am in psychology right now and it has been proven to be biological. Not something people just choose. 

JMVITT
by on May. 2, 2010 at 5:16 AM

I believe it. 

Jewelzgirl
by on May. 2, 2010 at 5:16 AM
i do believe that it is true that some are born that way, because so many have told they had felt they were gay for as long as they could remember. and yes, i am bold enough to ask when someone first started to feel they were gay. come to think of it, i don't think i have ever ran into anybody who woke up one day and decided they were going to be gay. it just seems like it is something that is unique to that person.
Ashgambit
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2010 at 5:17 AM

I really have no idea if it's nature vs. nurture....it's not something that has really been very important to me because I have no problem with people who are homosexual, so questioning why homosexual individuals are the way they are just isn't something I do.

I have been currently a bit more interested though, not because I am looking for a reason behind anyone's orientation but because it's interesting to know what you are and are not born with.

Lily23
by on May. 2, 2010 at 5:18 AM

I put usually because I do think its something you are born with for the majority, however, I also think that there are some that have circumstances which caused them to be with the same gender.  For example, if a woman was raped and abused by men throughout her life then she might develop an attraction to women because she finds comfort and safety in women.

jas_momof2
by on May. 2, 2010 at 5:20 AM

Who in their right mind who choose a life of discrimination becasue of who they love?  It's not a choice.  It is what it is. 

JMVITT
by on May. 2, 2010 at 5:23 AM

Yes.  My mom's old boss is gay.  However, back when he was in High School they were all taught that being gay was bad and a sin.  So he dated girls.  Married his high school sweetheart.  Had 2 children, the whole  9 yards.  Well after 20 years of marriage she suddenly passed in her sleep.  After the appropiate healing time, he tried to date.  He then confided in my mom that something was missing and that he knew he was gay but fought it for all those years.  He knew way back before high school something wasn't "right" with him.  That meaning, it wasn't something to be tolerated.  But now he is happily gay, lol.  I am happy that we as a nation are becoming more tolerant about it but we still have a long way to go.

Quoting Jewelzgirl:

i do believe that it is true that some are born that way, because so many have told they had felt they were gay for as long as they could remember. and yes, i am bold enough to ask when someone first started to feel they were gay. come to think of it, i don't think i have ever ran into anybody who woke up one day and decided they were going to be gay. it just seems like it is something that is unique to that person.

lovemymarine306
by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:57 AM

exactly...

Quoting jas_momof2:

Who in their right mind who choose a life of discrimination becasue of who they love?  It's not a choice.  It is what it is. 

RheaF
by Sweet Insanity on May. 2, 2010 at 11:03 AM

Honestly IDK? I have met some who claim that it was a choice and some who say they are born that way. It depends on who you ask.

chelleybeans
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:06 AM

My mom had a best friend growing up who was gay. As gay as he can get. He cross dressed all the time (lol) and just yeah,  you get it. Come to find out some 15+yrs later..............He is married to a WOMAN and has CHILDREN.............Never in a million yrs did ANYONE see that coming.

I think it's a choice. That is MY OPINION. So don't go all off on me on your high horse.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)