Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My little store fell apart...(kinda long)

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 8:24 AM
  • 5 Replies

This is upsetting to me..

I worked for Dollar Tree for 4 years. My two main bosses were Dan and Sandy. Sandy was  a stock manager, Dan was the store manager. Dan was very tough and assholish, but he was  a damn good worker and cared about the store looking nice. Alot of people complained about his attitude, but he had to be that way or people would have been lazy and not done their jobs right.

He instilled his work values in me-I had had 2 jobs previous to Dollar Tree but one was at the school store and one was being a bagger at Kroger. Very easy jobs, and no one ever looked over my shoulder to make sure I was doing my job correctly. Dollar Tree taught me the meaning of a real job, some might not think the work is all that hard but trust me when I tell you, there is a LOT involved in keeping a store, even a dollar store,  looking nice and running right.

When I was pregnant and had already left due to my pregnancy, Dan and Sandy were both unexpectedly transferred to another Dollar Tree. They have worked together for 20 plus years so there was no taking Dan without Sandy and the company knew that.

They bring this manager in who had previously managed a MUCH smaller Dollar Tree than my store.

I swear to God, this women does NOT know how to manage this store.

First she gets rid of most of the hard working employees there. She had grounds to fire them for little things due to company policy and she did. For instance she fired one of the managers, Katie, for being late. Being late I think like 3 times was grounds to be fired for a manager. She was only a few minutes late a few times and was fired.  No write up, no warning, just fired. Katie was almost as hard working as Dan. She fired other hard workers that had been there for years for silly little reasons too. Yet didn't fire another manager, Josh, who was extremely lazy and did as little work as he could to get the job done.

Then, no only does she fire the hard workers, she HIRES people who can't do the job and are lazy!!!  She actually hired someone with a BROKEN ARM, to be a cashier. I guess he was another manager's daughter's boyfriend or something, but I don't care who u are, you do not hire someone with a broken arm to be a cashier, especially because there is more to it then running the register, there are a lot of job responsibilities that come with being a cashier, like stock, recovery, etc, all of which could have been done better by someone with 2 good arms. She turned down applicants with 2 good arms to do a favor for another manager.

The rest of the people she has hired are all lazy and rude. The store has gone down the drain so much. It makes me so sad. That was my little store, I enjoyed working there and I enjoyed the sense of pride I got knowing I was helping to keep my customers happy and my store looking nice.

The store is not being recovered right. I see stuff out of place all the time. I see stuff on the floor all the time a customer could trip over and sue (which has happened before) When Dan, Sandy and I and a few of the other people she fired all worked there, yeah the store would get messy, but we kept on top of the recovery so our store would look nice for our customers.

The bathrooms, OMG, they are NASTY!!   I was the only employee ever willing to really clean the bathrooms, and Dan taught me that there was more to it than wiping off the sink, toilet and mopping the floors. He had me wiping dirt off the walls each time. At the time I thought he was nuts, but the other day I walked into the bathroom and the walls looked like they have not been wiped off since I last worked there, a year ago. I understand why Dan had me wipe off the walls, it's not one of the things u would think would get dirty, but they do, and quickly. I walked into the bathroom the other day and I  couldn't even use it. There was a big hole in the wall from where a customer had ripped off the toilet paper dispenser, the toilet and sink were filthy, as were the walls and floors. It looked like it hadn't been wiped off in weeks.

The lines are long, the new employees are rude, the store does not look nice. The floors are filthy, the stock is not being kept up with, and customers that know me from working there will stop me all the time to complain about how badly it's all gone down the drain since Dan, Sandy and I left.

When I worked there our store was nice. We knew we couldn't keep our customers waiting and called for backup if the lines were long. We kept out floors and bathrooms clean, we kept the stock up and we kept the recovery managed.

It makes me sad to see how badly everything went down the drain.  You work at a store for so long and work yourself to the bone for little pay just to keep things nice. Then you leave and it all gets turned upside down just because one manager can't manage her employees or keep on top of them to make sure they aren't slacking off.

Just a vent I guess. So many people I know have complained to corporate and said they have stopped shopping there because of how it is now. I guess corporate doesn't care or something because nothing has changed.

I don't work there anymore because even though I worked for 4 years there, when I got pregnant I did not qualify for FMLA to protect my job when I left. The new manager basically told me "I don't legally have to hire you back so I'm not going to"  and then goes on to hire people who can't do the job.

by on May. 2, 2010 at 8:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Mandi
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2010 at 8:30 AM

Oh sweety you have no idea..this is how the world of working works. Try office politics those are super fun.

carterscutie85
by *Shanny's Stalker* on May. 2, 2010 at 8:37 AM

Quoting Mandi:

Oh sweety you have no idea..this is how the world of working works. Try office politics those are super fun.

I guess because Dollar Tree was my first "real" job and I worked there for so long I kind of just assumed that the new manager would care enough to do things they way they are supposed to  be done. In my mind all Dollar Tree's should have been running the way Dan ran our store, to me there was no other way to run the store. So to see the store fall apart because the new manager is lazy makes me sad.  And to be honest I think it's not so much as being lazy, as being overwhelmed. She is very young and like I said had managed a very tiny dollar tree before, and went to this huge one we have, so maybe it's just too much on her.

firefly63701
by on May. 2, 2010 at 8:42 AM

I somewhat understand.  I worked at Dollar General and tho I didnt care for the job it got even worse when they moved our manager to another store in town and brought someone else in.  She liked to hire family and friends.  Even had someone working before their app was filled out.  She bought software so she could spy on us when she wasnt at work.  Needless to say everyone who worked their quit except the two from her family she hired and there is always new people working there.  If your really that upset abou the store get ahold of the district manager and report the store. Our manager was turned in for favoritism and and the person tried to get her for outright lying to get her fired.  unfortunally that  one didnt stick and she's still there but has to be extra carful.

OkieGirlKatrina
by on May. 2, 2010 at 8:42 AM

Do you know where Dan and Sandy work?  Maybe you can go to thier store and get hired back there...  Im sure if you were a good employee for them you would be hired back.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

carterscutie85
by *Shanny's Stalker* on May. 2, 2010 at 8:47 AM

I do. They were transferred to a store about 45 minutes from me. It would not be worth the gas money or the hour ride on the bus to get out there every day, for the hours I'd be getting. I got about 25-30 hours a week there, but if I was to work there again most of that would be going for gas money for someone to take me since I don't have a car. It's just not worth it.

If they ever get transferred closer I know I'd have a job with them. Dan told me wherever he has a job I have a job. It's just unfortunate he had to be transferred so far away.

Quoting OkieGirlKatrina:

Do you know where Dan and Sandy work?  Maybe you can go to thier store and get hired back there...  Im sure if you were a good employee for them you would be hired back.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)