Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

At the end of my rope and need HELP!

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 8:45 AM
  • 14 Replies

DD is driving me 100% crazy! I have had 3 hours of sleep (total) in the past 2 days. She has decided that she doesn't need sleep! She wants to stay up all night knowing Daddy gets home about an hour after she goest o bed, if she stays up, he lets her!
We have got in the biggest arguments that past 2 days. He ended up leaving and sleeping in the store the night before and slept in the car in the driveway last night.
I told him, she is testing us, and by letting her out of the room he is showing her SHE is the boss.
The night before she broke his glasses and he got upset with her for the first time in her 2 year life! He had a "talk" with her about it last night. Sat her on his lap and talked to her "Ok Princess, that' wasn't nice to break Daddys glasses" like she understands! She was just smiling and "winking" at him the whole time.
It's stressing me out and I can't deal with it anymore! He spoils her and I am the one who has to deal with it all day and night! I am seriously telling him to not even come home at all tonight, I need sleep, my mom is getting surgery tomorrow and it was like pulling teeth to get her to tell me the time because her idiot husband doesn't want me there. So I am worried and stressed about that too!
What can I do to make her go to bed and get a decent amount of sleep? And make DH listen!!!!

by on May. 2, 2010 at 8:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
isra1986
by on May. 2, 2010 at 8:51 AM

BUMP!

LadyIsobel
by on May. 2, 2010 at 8:56 AM

Im so sorry that you are having a hard time :-(

And I do agree with you she is testing you and you as parents need to find a strategy that you both will follow without any exceptions.

Could it be a posibility to let her stay up until her father gets home?

Maybe he could put her in bed and spend some time with her then?

I think your daugher maybe is missing her father and she knows that he will get home right after she has fallen asleep :-)

I hope everything will get better and believe me it will *hugs*

mamivon2
by on May. 2, 2010 at 8:56 AM

Daddys are there to spoil their princesses. Maybe have him spend the night with her and go to a hotel.

Can you let her stay up till her dad comes home and give them 30min of bonding time. Maybe have him get her ready for bed.

beans13
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2010 at 9:00 AM

Oh Isra, I feel your pain.

DD goes through phases like that sometimes too.  I have no idea why men don't understand it either.  My dh is in a band and has rehearsal some nights, he will come home at about 1 am and she will wake up.  He will have a full conversation with her (which she thinks is great) and then he will pass out and I am left with at wide awake 3 yr old in the middle of the night.  I get so frustrated.  I have said to him so many times, pls come in quietly - but he loves their middle of the night bonding time....grrrr!

Hope you get some sleep soon.

i.heart.rachel
by on May. 2, 2010 at 9:04 AM

No clue, momma. I would just talk to DH and let him know how serious it is that she NEEDS to sleep. She can get sick if she doesn't.

SnowboardMama4
by on May. 2, 2010 at 9:05 AM

How frustrating! I've had instances where DH goes behind my back and gives in to the kids when I've already told them NO, and it really makes me upset.  It makes them lose respect for me & my authority (and my husband's too).

I agree with the other ladies... Could she stay up til he gets home, and then have him put her to bed?

What does HE say about all of this?

MommytoIsabella
by on May. 2, 2010 at 9:09 AM

When my husband was working late, I adjusted dd's bedtime to later so that she could have some time with him before bed. It was hard, because she still got up the same time! She is testing you, and it is hard when Daddy gives in to his little girl! I know that frustration! I know my dd goes through spurts of not thinking she needs any sleep, and I feel at he end of my rope and beyond tired...and then just as fast she is back to her normal sleep routine. Hope things get back to normal soon, and you both get some sleep. Tell dh YOU are sleeping in the car tonight! lol

MommySwiggles
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2010 at 9:10 AM

Isra, do you spank?  Sometimes my 2yo pulls this and I mean he is up for HOURS in the middle of the night.  And I still have a 1yo to take care of in the morning so this is a no-go.  Eventually if he keeps getting out of bed, a little swat on the butt will work, but we only use it as a last resort. 

Luckily DH and I are on the same page with discipline. And you are 100% correct, she is testing you.  Both of you need to show her who is boss lol.

isra1986
by on May. 2, 2010 at 9:11 AM

He thinks it's fun to stay up all night with her! So that's why I put her to bed before he gets home, so she can get sleep! She has been on a schedule since day 1 and she wakes up at 7-8 no matter what on her own, even if she only got 4 hours of sleep!
He says I am controlling and I never let him make any decisions with DD. I don't think just letting her stay up all night because SHE wants to is a very good decision to make. I am the one who is suffering with a cranky girl all day because she is sleepy and going on NO sleep because I can't fall asleep until she is in bed and if I am up late, I usually have trouble falling asleep.

Quoting SnowboardMama4:

How frustrating! I've had instances where DH goes behind my back and gives in to the kids when I've already told them NO, and it really makes me upset.  It makes them lose respect for me & my authority (and my husband's too).

I agree with the other ladies... Could she stay up til he gets home, and then have him put her to bed?

What does HE say about all of this?

isra1986
by on May. 2, 2010 at 9:13 AM

No, but to be honest, I did lose it the night before and spanked her and put her in the bed. I feel soooo guilty!
DH can't be a boss with her unfortunatly! She is the Princess! CAn do NO wrong! Lol!

Quoting MommySwiggles:

Isra, do you spank?  Sometimes my 2yo pulls this and I mean he is up for HOURS in the middle of the night.  And I still have a 1yo to take care of in the morning so this is a no-go.  Eventually if he keeps getting out of bed, a little swat on the butt will work, but we only use it as a last resort. 

Luckily DH and I are on the same page with discipline. And you are 100% correct, she is testing you.  Both of you need to show her who is boss lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)