• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is this "allowed"?

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 9:58 AM
  • 12 Replies

I drove past a car yesterday that had the RF carseat w/ an infant in the passengers seat...

Is that legal?  I know it's safer for the backseat... Which is why I honestly don't know if putting it in the front seat is legal or not, I always have put the car seats in the back and never though twice about it.

(I'm not saying I'm going to go do this, I wouldn't ever put the car seats in front, I'm just wondering if that mother was breaking the law & endangering her kid by doing that)

by on May. 2, 2010 at 9:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
carterscutie85
by *Shanny's Stalker* on May. 2, 2010 at 9:59 AM

She was endangering her kid but I don't think it'll illegal

amayabrianna
by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:00 AM

The backseat is definetly reccomended but if there is no airbag in the passenger side then in most states it is legal. (I don't know of any states where it is illegal)

Plus-size-mommy
by StarBaby on May. 2, 2010 at 10:00 AM

I THINK  it's illegal, I don't know for sure. One of the car seat experts will know for sure though so here is a bump for you!

BlessedToBMommy
by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:01 AM

I see this crap all the time, I was actually going to make a post about it after seeing like the 10th one the ohter day. The common sense of some people just scares the heck out of me!

CAarmywife
by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:01 AM

its legal. maybe her seatbelts werent working in the backseat? maybe no latch?

ninipanini
by Ruby Member on May. 2, 2010 at 10:01 AM

It's not recommended if there is an airbag on that side, especially. It's not illegal though. If your back seat isn't big enough for a car seat, then it would have to go into the passenger side.  Back seat is definitely safer though.

nbr1sahm
by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:02 AM

DH has a regular cab truck and he has had DD in the front passenger seat rear facing before. He turned off the air bag. I think that's why it's so dangerous for children to ride in front... because of the airbags.

nbr1sahm
by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:03 AM

Quoting BlessedToBMommy:

I see this crap all the time, I was actually going to make a post about it after seeing like the 10th one the ohter day. The common sense of some people just scares the heck out of me!

Maybe it was common sense that drove them to place the child in front in the first place! There could be many reasons why the child wasn't in the back seat.

BlessedToBMommy
by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:07 AM

EVERY car I've seen this happen with ,is a four door, with a huge backseat empty and I can see the seat belts, so no common sense is not a factor here.

Quoting nbr1sahm:

Quoting BlessedToBMommy:

Maybe it was common sense that drove them to place the child in front in the first place! There could be many reasons why the child wasn't in the back seat.

nbr1sahm
by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:09 AM

Quoting BlessedToBMommy:

EVERY car I've seen this happen with ,is a four door, with a huge backseat empty and I can see the seat belts, so no common sense is not a factor here.

Quoting nbr1sahm:

Quoting BlessedToBMommy:

Well, then that must mean EVERY other car is the same. Shame on me!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)