Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What is the difference between high fructose corn syrup and high maltose corn syrup?

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:43 AM
  • 7 Replies

I have seen it in many cereal bars and granola bars which I always thought were good for me and the kids. Now I'm not so sure. Is it better than HFC?

by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
TheChefandMe
by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:54 AM

I just did a quick read on both and they don't seem to be very different,  just different forms of sugar. HMCH maybe easier on the liver then HFCS.

http://www.ehow.com/about_5412157_high-high-fructose-corn-syrup.html

lovemymarine306
by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:55 AM

i have to admit that I don't know.  but they both seem kind of gross to me.

inspain
by Ruby Member on May. 2, 2010 at 11:08 AM

If you really have to use HFCS, see if you can use golden syrup instead.  I buy a UK brand called Lyle's.  It's in a little green and gold tin and you can probably get it at specialty stores, but I actually saw it a couple of months ago on an end cap in Target that was promoting British foods. 

I've used golden syrup to replace HGCS in my pecan pie and my macadamia/coconut pie.  It's good stuff and no worse than regular sugar.

soon2bemomof307
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:18 AM

It's so frustrating because it's in everything. It takes me so long to shop now because I spend so much time reading labels.

inspain
by Ruby Member on May. 2, 2010 at 11:31 AM

Sorry about the recipe advice, guess it was just on my mind because I'm making a macadamia tart today...

In any case, HMCS is still a processed corn byproduct and I'd avoid it where possible, but it's not quite the poison that HFCS is. 

Companies continue to use HFCS because it's cheap.  It's very hard to avoid it if you eat processed foods or drinks.  I avoid it because type 2 diabetes runs in my family - and none of us are overweight - and I just don't want to work my liver that hard.

Amandaandamy
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:35 AM
Lol remember the high fructose corn syrup commercials advocating it? Lol
PeytonNBella
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:42 AM

Quoting TheChefandMe:

I just did a quick read on both and they don't seem to be very different,  just different forms of sugar. HMCH maybe easier on the liver then HFCS.

http://www.ehow.com/about_5412157_high-high-fructose-corn-syrup.html

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)