Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

SAHM... a charmed life?

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:54 AM
  • 10 Replies

LOL! Those of you who have so many questions about our lives make it seem as if we either torture ourselves or we lead trouble free lives. LOL! Did you forget we are HUMAN... just like you?

So I'd just like to say that SAHM's...

1) sometimes (in our case, most of the time) have money problems

2)don't always have spotless homes

3) actually (most of the time) become involved with activities and projects outside of the home and can become very overwhelmed trying to meet the stereotypical expectations of a SAHM

4) don't necessarily want a break from their "job"... but every woman deserves a break from their children

5) do not earn an income, but still have a lot to show for their "work"

6) While a SAHM's daily routine may not be considered a job, it can certainly feel like hard labor at times.

7) shouldn't be required to have a "back-up" plan. When did it become taboo to have a little bit of Faith in your relationship?

8) should be proud of what they accomplish on a daily basis... as every mom, working or not, should.

by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kris_PBG
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:01 AM

I am a working mom and I agree!  Except for #7...

Tragedies happen - and God forbid something happened to your dh, you NEED a back up plan.  That could be something to the relationship, but it also could be a castrastrophe or accident.

Dh and I both work - and we have a back up plan!  We have life insurance policies on each other that would allow for us to keep the house and care for the children if something happened to one of us...

So - I would think anyone with kids would need a back up plan - life is unpredictable.

misssy2000
by Ruby Member on May. 2, 2010 at 11:07 AM

I totally agree with 8. Many working moms don't have a back up plan, changing your life period is hard but women are strong and we figure stuff out. SO walking around waiting for the worst thing ever to happened to my marriage is not how I would ever choose to live my life. That said we have backup plans but I don't like talking about talking about what to do if the worst happens. Just know this I wouldn't crawl under a rock and die I will do what has to be done what women have been doing for the last 36569569654545456465484 something years.

nbr1sahm
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:07 AM

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Tragedies happen - and God forbid something happened to your dh, you NEED a back up plan.  That could be something to the relationship, but it also could be a castrastrophe or accident.

Dh and I both work - and we have a back up plan!  We have life insurance policies on each other that would allow for us to keep the house and care for the children if something happened to one of us...

So - I would think anyone with kids would need a back up plan - life is unpredictable.

I just see so many women say "just wait until he leaves you" or "what if you an DH divorce.."

As for life insurance, I agree. Everyone needs life insurance... married or not. But I don't think Life insurance is a back up plan. Rather, I view it as more of a necessity.

By back up plan, I'm referring to those who think mom should have a career first, a degree to fall back on, and money in the bank JUST IN CASE she and DH split. I simply don't agree with that.

nbr1sahm
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:09 AM

Quoting misssy2000:

I totally agree with 8. Many working moms don't have a back up plan, changing your life period is hard but women are strong and we figure stuff out. SO walking around waiting for the worst thing ever to happened to my marriage is not how I would ever choose to live my life. That said we have backup plans but I don't like talking about talking about what to do if the worst happens. Just know this I wouldn't crawl under a rock and die I will do what has to be done what women have been doing for the last 36569569654545456465484 something years.

Exactly! What kind of life would that be... always thinking about the "what if"?

misssy2000
by Ruby Member on May. 2, 2010 at 11:11 AM

Quoting nbr1sahm:

Quoting Kris_PBG:

I just see so many women say "just wait until he leaves you" or "what if you an DH divorce.."

As for life insurance, I agree. Everyone needs life insurance... married or not. But I don't think Life insurance is a back up plan. Rather, I view it as more of a necessity.

By back up plan, I'm referring to those who think mom should have a career first, a degree to fall back on, and money in the bank JUST IN CASE she and DH split. I simply don't agree with that.

Me either, anything can happened many people have careers and degrees all over the place and still cannot get a job in this economy. Something can happened in your career and you have to do something totally different. Stuff happends all the time. just like those people who were wealthy and housiing market got all messed up and then they are super broke. You cant plan for everything we just have faith that whatever happends we will always be okay..

Sunshine172
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:12 AM

I don't have a back up plan. and i'm trying to think of one so hard right now.. friiiiiiiiggg

embarrassed
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:12 AM

I was going to say this - but you said it better :)

DH and I each have large life insurance policies that will ensure that they other can pay off the house - set aside money for the kids' college - and still live comfortably.

Otherwise - I agree.  I've been a SAHM, WOHM, and I'm currently a WAHM.  I've seen it all...and NONE of it is a walk in the park.

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Our journey to fitness has begun!dumbbell

http://urbanthunder.wordpress.com/

nbr1sahm
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:13 AM

Quoting misssy2000:

Quoting nbr1sahm:

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Me either, anything can happened many people have careers and degrees all over the place and still cannot get a job in this economy. Something can happened in your career and you have to do something totally different. Stuff happends all the time. just like those people who were wealthy and housiing market got all messed up and then they are super broke. You cant plan for everything we just have faith that whatever happends we will always be okay..

You said it!

embarrassed
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:14 AM

It's not just "if he leaves you", though.  It's also if he loses his job and can't find anything else.  It would be good for the former sahm to be marketable enough to find a job.

Quoting nbr1sahm:

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Our journey to fitness has begun!dumbbell

http://urbanthunder.wordpress.com/

Trishintraining
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:16 AM

I agree with everything but 7. Everyone needs a back up plan, SAHM or not. EVERYONE. Life happens. It's not about having faith in your relationship.. shit happens that you can't control. I'd rather my children have the best possible life than put my pride above that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)