Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

In-Law Drama Ruining my Marriage!

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:18 AM
  • 27 Replies

Ok, ever since I had my daughter(she will be 6 in august)I have had problems with my in-laws. My sister in-law and mil live downstairs and my husband and I and our 2 kids lives upstairs in a 2 family house that mil owns. My husband's other sister is satying here for 6months and she has a 10yr old son and now as of last month they are most likely staying here permanetly. Plus my bil and girlfriend are moving to the attic next month sometime. Mil and sil and I have had major issues in the past due to raising my daughter. Short story is that I finally after yrs of speaking my ming just flat out told mil off bad with names(no swearing though) because I had enough. So for about 1 1/2yrs mil and sil did not speak to me. Now sil still ignores me and mil and I will say hi and talk a l ittle bit, but we are not close. When bil lived here before he caused major trouble. He was always tearing up things in the house and doing his own construction projects justifying it by saying that in the long run the house will sell for more. Who is selling the house? Anyway now he is coming back next month with new ideas for projects. Basically the stress has about killed my marriage many times over again. My husband has talked to his family about things and there have been countless issues, but they are the type of people to do what they want and that is it. So my husband and I want to move and get our own place, but we can't afford that right now. In september our van will be paid off and then we can start saving more money towards moving. My problem is that I don't know if I can handle all the drama anymore. I have been at my breaking point many times before and I feel that I should just leave, My husband and I do not even really have much of a realtionship anymore because between our kids taking up our time and then the stress I really don't even try anymre because I am mentally checked out. I feel like if we got away from the situation then we could work on our own issues-we have a few and then see from there. But in the months to come I am worried. I was planning to start school in september and now I am not sure because with the stress in the house I am not sure that I could handle it. Plus we came home last night and sil and her son where in our apartment hanging out. Everytime we leave they use our computer and tv(no internet and cable downstairs)-I hate it!!! My husband taked to his sister, but who knows-like I said they do what they want. What would u do in this situation?

by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BubbaLuva
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:23 AM

Can you break this up into paragraphs or enlarge the font? It's hard for me to read it like this.

Ravensong
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:25 AM

I'd try and move out into an apartment until the money could be saved up for a house. If the stress is too much for your relationship I think removing yourselves from the house would be a good thing. Often I think when there is stress/problems in a relationship it can cause other areas in life to seem harder to deal with too. 

periwinkle163
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:26 AM

I would just move as quickly as possible, I mean if it's too the point where you are thinking of leaving your dh over it. How would you pay to leave him? Your mil sees it as her house so she is not going to change.

exceptalilfish
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:26 AM

you cant lock up your part of the house? because that is what i would do, or take the internet cord or tv cord. no one is going to be hanging out in my house while we are not there, if you tell them not to and they still do, press charges, fuck who cares, how much worse could it get?

Plus-size-mommy
by StarBaby on May. 2, 2010 at 11:28 AM

I agree with the PP, this is really hard to read. I'm sorry, break it into paragraphs and enlarge it.

Dodgermommy
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:30 AM

If you think you can afford a divorce and to be on your own because of the drama then how can you NOT afford to move now and work on saving your marriage?

Solo_Fan
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:30 AM

I would check into getting a small apartment.  I would be pulling me hair out!!!  Good luck.  That is a very difficult situation

IMAMOMx4
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:31 AM

yep, try see what you can afford and move. 

Harmony_31
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:31 AM

Change the locks on your doors and as the pp says take the cords when you leave just in case they still find a way in.

busymomma75
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:32 AM

this

Quoting exceptalilfish:

you cant lock up your part of the house? because that is what i would do, or take the internet cord or tv cord. no one is going to be hanging out in my house while we are not there, if you tell them not to and they still do, press charges, fuck who cares, how much worse could it get?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)