Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Did you know...Yes, another PA post

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:33 AM
  • 15 Replies

That (at least in Maryland), they have no emergency or expedited process for day care vouchers?  My DF has been our child care for about 6 months since he got laid off and I went back to work.  Some things have happened in the last week and he is not going to be able to continue to care for our children...I'm not really in a position where I can turn around and stay home again either, but it may have to come to this.  Anyway, I went to the day care assistance office the other day and explained my situation to them, also explaining that my job was only going to be able to hold it for me for so long.  They said that they do not have any emergency or expedited process and it could take up to 30 days to get vouchers.  The big kicker is, they don't really care if I lose my job.  And the worst part is, I am 6 months pregnant, so there's really no feasible way I would get another job, if I lost this one.  Also, even if my job holds it for that long and I go back to work at the end of 30 days for another 6-8 weeks until the baby is born, they do not pay expenses during maternity leave, so I would lose my spot in day care and have to start the whole process again when I was ready to go back to work.  I know there are people that abuse system, but it seems that a lot of people that really need the help are the ones that end up getting the shaft...this is BS.

CafeMom Tickers
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Plus-size-mommy
by StarBaby on May. 2, 2010 at 11:35 AM

I'm sorry :( That sucks!! Why can't he watch the kids anymore? Did he find a new job? Yeah, I'm nosy lol, sorry!

luv_my_xiya
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:35 AM

how much does child care cost around there?

mamaoftwins9197
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:38 AM

I wish he couldn't watch them because of a new job...that would make this a lot less difficult...LOL.  I don't really want to get into the reason, but unless some divine intervention happens, he's not going to be able to do it.

Quoting Plus-size-mommy:

I'm sorry :( That sucks!! Why can't he watch the kids anymore? Did he find a new job? Yeah, I'm nosy lol, sorry!

CafeMom Tickers
MommySwiggles
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2010 at 11:38 AM

its a viscious circle isn't it?  We qualify for foodstamps & WIC but NOT for day care assistance.  And day care here is EXPENSIVE

mamaoftwins9197
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:39 AM

The cheapest place we were able to find is $300 a week for the two of them...I barely bring home $20-50 more than that, depending on the week.

Quoting luv_my_xiya:

how much does child care cost around there?

CafeMom Tickers
mamaoftwins9197
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:40 AM

See, around here, almost everyone qualifies for daycare because it is the biggest expense so the income guidelines are higher, but the process is a joke.

Quoting MommySwiggles:

its a viscious circle isn't it?  We qualify for foodstamps & WIC but NOT for day care assistance.  And day care here is EXPENSIVE

CafeMom Tickers
babybee2007
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:41 AM

I'm sorry Liz, I hope it works out!

*Katie*
Proud Wife to Gabe and
Loving mom to Jared...
Expecting our baby girl in June!

CafeMom Tickers

Lilypie - (S3lk)

If you like photography, art projects, design, and good food...
Check out my blog: Imaginative Mommy!

mamaoftwins9197
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:42 AM

Thanks Katie!!!  Me too!!!

Quoting babybee2007:

I'm sorry Liz, I hope it works out!

CafeMom Tickers
Honeybun09
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:43 AM

I'm sorry. :( Here in Washington I was able to take her as soon as I found a job. I had to pay out of pocket until my stuff went through but then they reimbursed me. However, it was only like a week so all I had paid out of pocket was my monthly co-pay and the start-up costs.

Rock-a-bye, babies group,
right on CafeMom:
When the posts start,
The group willl rock;
When the advice flows,
No member will fail;
Down will go baby,
sleeping night and all.
Credit: Cafe Elizabeth

Come join the Babies group today!
Mother Goose Day Celebration May 3!
See you there! ~Honeybun09~Babies Mod~

mamaoftwins9197
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:44 AM

They did say that this may be an option, so I'm going to call the daycare tomorrow...however, the only problem with that is that I just don't have the money to put up up front and get reimbursed.  When DF first got laid off, we went through our savings, hoping that he would be able to find another job quickly.

Quoting Honeybun09:

I'm sorry. :( Here in Washington I was able to take her as soon as I found a job. I had to pay out of pocket until my stuff went through but then they reimbursed me. However, it was only like a week so all I had paid out of pocket was my monthly co-pay and the start-up costs.

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)