Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Camping Trip! *UPDATE In Purple*

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 2:41 PM
  • 6 Replies

We plan on going camping this week, our 2nd time camping since DD was born. Last time we went we didnt take DD out on the boat, because

we didnt have a life jacket for her, and because we were sure if there was a certain age they arent allowed to go on the water.

So my question is, do they make life jackets for childing 6months+, and do you know if there is a certain age to which you aren't allowed to have a child on a boat?

I have this link, which specifies that childer under the age of 12, must have a "PFD" which I know to be a life jacket, or "Personal Flotation Device"

http://www.boatus.org/onlinecourse/statelaws/Kentucky.html

So far from the information shared, I know that DD can ride in A boat as long as she is the recommended 18lbs, and a good self-sitter. Also I know that they do make floatation devices for her, and I have one from DS when he was young  Made just like the one from below:I'm curious since DS is 26 lbs. & 3 years old If there is a better vest aside from the one shown. Of it this vest would be the safest option for both DS&DD.

baby growth

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

by on May. 2, 2010 at 2:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
petersgal
by on May. 2, 2010 at 2:44 PM

not sure about the age limit - I don't imagine there is one.  My DD was 7 months last summer when she went out on my FILs boat with us for the first time... we got her a really cute infant life jacket from Walmart.... it fits all around her - The floatie part is in the front, and there is strap to put her legs through so it doesn't slip up and choke her if she were to fall in the water

I think we got it from Walmart.... have fun!!!! 

RendevouzDreams
by on May. 2, 2010 at 2:46 PM

I never heard of a age limit. So IDK...But, we had a boat and we took all the grandchildren. Youngest was a little younger then 1. Yes they make life jackets for all little ones. Walmart usally carrys them

Tawanda74
by on May. 2, 2010 at 2:48 PM

I found this info...

Expert Answers

According to the U.S. Coast Guard's Office of Boating Safety, your baby should not travel on a boat — including rowboats, kayaks, motorboats, and sailboats — until he weighs at least 18 pounds and can wear a personal flotation device (PFD), also known as a life jacket or life vest, that fits snugly. Most babies will weigh 18 pounds somewhere between 4 and 11 months old. If yours hits that milestone early, consider also whether he can sit up. Being able to sit up will help your baby stay upright in his PFD and make it easier for you to hold onto him when the boat dips, weaves, and rollicks.

It can be difficult to find a PFD that fits your child. When shopping, ask for an "infant" sized PFD. These are almost always labeled, "Approved for use on recreational boats and uninspected commercial vessels not carrying passengers for hire, by persons weighing less than 30 pounds." Despite this labeling, your baby needs to weigh at least 18 pounds in order for a vest to fit him well. The only way to know if the PFD fits is to put it on your child, tighten the straps, and lift him up by the jacket's shoulders. If his chin and head slip through the neck opening then it doesn't fit properly, and you should wait a bit longer before boating together. You should also test the PFD in a controlled environment, such as a swimming pool — with you holding your baby — before taking him on a boat. Hold your baby, wearing the PDF, in the pool. When you let your child "float" in the water, the PFD should keep him in a face-up position.

Remember also that you should wear a life vest or PFD at all times on board a boat. In an emergency there might not be enough time for you to put one on. You need to stay safe to keep your baby safe.

Finally, never leave an infant in a car seat on a boat . If the boat were to capsize, the seat would sink instantly.

DandieMandie
by on May. 2, 2010 at 2:51 PM

Thank you for this, it gives me a better idea of what to look for. And my DD is around 17-19 lbs. She was 16lbs 2 months ago and the last tiem I weighed her (2-3 weeks ago) she was 17.(something) lbs.

Quoting Tawanda74:

I found this info...

Expert Answers

According to the U.S. Coast Guard's Office of Boating Safety, your baby should not travel on a boat — including rowboats, kayaks, motorboats, and sailboats — until he weighs at least 18 pounds and can wear a personal flotation device (PFD), also known as a life jacket or life vest, that fits snugly. Most babies will weigh 18 pounds somewhere between 4 and 11 months old. If yours hits that milestone early, consider also whether he can sit up. Being able to sit up will help your baby stay upright in his PFD and make it easier for you to hold onto him when the boat dips, weaves, and rollicks.

It can be difficult to find a PFD that fits your child. When shopping, ask for an "infant" sized PFD. These are almost always labeled, "Approved for use on recreational boats and uninspected commercial vessels not carrying passengers for hire, by persons weighing less than 30 pounds." Despite this labeling, your baby needs to weigh at least 18 pounds in order for a vest to fit him well. The only way to know if the PFD fits is to put it on your child, tighten the straps, and lift him up by the jacket's shoulders. If his chin and head slip through the neck opening then it doesn't fit properly, and you should wait a bit longer before boating together. You should also test the PFD in a controlled environment, such as a swimming pool — with you holding your baby — before taking him on a boat. Hold your baby, wearing the PDF, in the pool. When you let your child "float" in the water, the PFD should keep him in a face-up position.

Remember also that you should wear a life vest or PFD at all times on board a boat. In an emergency there might not be enough time for you to put one on. You need to stay safe to keep your baby safe.

Finally, never leave an infant in a car seat on a boat . If the boat were to capsize, the seat would sink instantly.

baby growth

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

SoCalMel
by on May. 2, 2010 at 2:57 PM

This Stohlquist vest is supposed to be one of the best on the market.

http://www.stohlquist.com/dyn_prod.php?p=STO522302&k=29567

Water Ski World has a great variety of infant vests.

http://www.waterskiworld.com/life_vest/Infant_Life_Vest/infant_life_vest.html

I think they all have a max weight limit of 30 lbs.

2girlsMom.MN
by on May. 2, 2010 at 3:03 PM

Here is my dd last summer at 9mos.old on her first boating experiance. She did GREAT! the only problem we ran into was at nap time wearing a lifejacket isn't so comfortable and she got sweaty and hot but it was also 95degrees that day. She also went in the lake and went swimming with us.

The main thing that is a NO no no.... never ever strap a baby into a carseat or carrier on a boat if a accident happens or they go overboard they will drown being strapped into something. Always wear a lifejacket and keep them on your lap or right next to you.

If we were more serious boaters or had our own boat we'd have a more exspensive comfortable life jacket but for the few times we actually go boating with family or friends we just a got a cheapo at walmart.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)