Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

House training help PLEASE! kinda long, sorry

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 3:04 PM
  • 11 Replies

i realize it has only been just over a week, i realize she is just a puppy. but i'm going to lose it! i have never had this hard of a time house training a puppy before. i've looked up recommended methods, they've done absolutely no good.

lets start at the beginning. we got Lady at 12 weeks on April 22. the lady i got her from told me she had been house trained and then told me as i was leaving that the puppies had been outside dogs for the last month. so i figured right away that we would end up starting from scratch. She is GREAT at night. she does not move from what she considers "her" spot on the couch all night, from the first night we got her its been like that. if i wake up at night i take her out but otherwise she never shows any need to go out. since we got her EVERY morning the first thing i do is i call her to come outside. EVERY morning she detours and pees and/or poops on the way to the door, the first few days it was in the living room ever since we had to watch her sister (my SIL's puppy) and she had an accident in the boy's room Lady has been going in there. its always out of my sight and i don't find it until we come in.

so doing my research the most commonly recommended method of training i've found has been crate training. we have the proper sized crate for her, and yet she pees in there.

She NEVER gives any sort of warning she needs to go. if she's not in her crate i can watch for signs like sniffing in circles and such and i can catch it that way but that doesn't work in the morning she doesn't even do that.

She also WILL NOT go potty what so ever if she is on ANY type of lead. we are getting the yard fenced in this summer but i can't deal with this that long. there is a leash law here but i have to stay outside with her off leash until she does her business and sometimes that can take her over 45 minutes, very difficult to do sometimes when DH is not home and i have 3 kids in the house.

can someone, anyone please give me some help i have never had this much trouble! i'm sure i've missed something so if there are any questions i'll be more than glad to answer them but i really could use some advice. i've never expected her to learn over night but none of my efforts have even shown the slightest sign of working.

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

by on May. 2, 2010 at 3:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
northernmommy
by on May. 2, 2010 at 3:12 PM

BUMP!

ladybuglove08
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2010 at 3:15 PM

I always used baby gates to keep the puppy in the same room with me.  She was not allowed in the back of the house (where bedrooms are) until she was fully potty trained.  But she was in the same room with me at all times, and I took her out about every half hour/or hour.

northernmommy
by on May. 2, 2010 at 3:21 PM

well she's blocked off from the kitchen/bathroom area with a baby gate, our livingroom is also our bedroom and the boy's room doesn't have a door and my other baby gate is broken :( the weird thing is, in the morning she won't get off the couch until i call her then she detours. as we are walking. the way the house is set up is that you walk from the livingroom through the dining room, (the boy's room is off the dining room,) and into the kitchen where the door is. she's damn sneaky about it. several times i swear there wasn't enough time for her to do it but the puddle wasn't there before i called her and it was there when we came back in the house. i'm at a loss, i let her out constantly thought the day, we have a feeding and watering schedule that was recomended by her vet. i dunno

Quoting ladybuglove08:

I always used baby gates to keep the puppy in the same room with me.  She was not allowed in the back of the house (where bedrooms are) until she was fully potty trained.  But she was in the same room with me at all times, and I took her out about every half hour/or hour.

MommytoNandA
by on May. 2, 2010 at 3:24 PM

This.  Bella, our puppy is about 17 or 18 weeks, I can't remember!  Isn't that horrible?  LOL.  She was going outside and then as soon as she got inside she would pee on the floor.  She is not allowed on any kind of carpet or rug until she is potty trained, period.  She sleeps in her crate all night with no problems and I use baby gates to keep her in the kitchen for most of the day.  She is actually doing very well.  I have started letting her come into the living room with us a lot, but if she pees on the carpet she gets "grounded" to the kitchen for the remainder of the day.  She likes to be with us at all times and this really gets her, LOL.

Quoting ladybuglove08:

MommytoNandA
by on May. 2, 2010 at 3:25 PM

Can you go get her and put her on a lead to make sure she doesn't get away from you?  Our puppy is so small, when she gets up I just get her out of the crate and carry her to the door.

Quoting northernmommy:

well she's blocked off from the kitchen/bathroom area with a baby gate, our livingroom is also our bedroom and the boy's room doesn't have a door and my other baby gate is broken :( the weird thing is, in the morning she won't get off the couch until i call her then she detours. as we are walking. the way the house is set up is that you walk from the livingroom through the dining room, (the boy's room is off the dining room,) and into the kitchen where the door is. she's damn sneaky about it. several times i swear there wasn't enough time for her to do it but the puddle wasn't there before i called her and it was there when we came back in the house. i'm at a loss, i let her out constantly thought the day, we have a feeding and watering schedule that was recomended by her vet. i dunno

Quoting ladybuglove08:

dmarie2101
by Diamond Member on May. 2, 2010 at 3:27 PM

instead of calling her, just pick her up and take her outside. that way she cant detour.

northernmommy
by on May. 2, 2010 at 3:28 PM

that was the only other thing i could think of trying. she hates her lead she struggles against it but she's only had one for just over a week. but i'm going to give it a go in the morning.  i have a hard time picking her up sometimes cause even at 13 weeks now she's about 24lbs and i have some back problems that give me a hard time, expecially in the morning.

Quoting MommytoNandA:

Can you go get her and put her on a lead to make sure she doesn't get away from you?  Our puppy is so small, when she gets up I just get her out of the crate and carry her to the door.

Quoting northernmommy:

Quoting ladybuglove08:

connietrrll
by on May. 2, 2010 at 3:30 PM

How big is the puppy? How big is the crate? I know you said you have the right size crate for her but, it is only supposed to be big enough for them to stand in period. They should not be able to turn around in it. It sounds really cruel. I have a puppy now that is almost totally trained after just a week of training. Also you can not put food, and water in there. Another thing is to carry the puppy to the door when you take them out of the crate. The first place they touch should be a place they can potty. Then is she goes potty then let her eat and play for about half hour. Then back in the crate. That part of the process should only take about 2 days.

MommytoNandA
by on May. 2, 2010 at 3:35 PM

We had some problems with that too.  Bella hated her lead for about a week.  I walk a lot with the kids and that was just not acceptable!  I started walking her up and down the hallway and if she would "walk nice" for me then she would get a treat.  Now if she is pulling and being crazy I just have to say "Bella, walk nice!"  Works everytime!

Quoting northernmommy:

that was the only other thing i could think of trying. she hates her lead she struggles against it but she's only had one for just over a week. but i'm going to give it a go in the morning.  i have a hard time picking her up sometimes cause even at 13 weeks now she's about 24lbs and i have some back problems that give me a hard time, expecially in the morning.

Quoting MommytoNandA:

Quoting northernmommy:

Quoting ladybuglove08:

northernmommy
by on May. 2, 2010 at 3:36 PM

as of Thursday when she was at the Vet she was 24lbs, i know its the right size crate for her. i'm going to have to take her out on a lead cause especially in the mornings i can't carry her.

Quoting connietrrll:

How big is the puppy? How big is the crate? I know you said you have the right size crate for her but, it is only supposed to be big enough for them to stand in period. They should not be able to turn around in it. It sounds really cruel. I have a puppy now that is almost totally trained after just a week of training. Also you can not put food, and water in there. Another thing is to carry the puppy to the door when you take them out of the crate. The first place they touch should be a place they can potty. Then is she goes potty then let her eat and play for about half hour. Then back in the crate. That part of the process should only take about 2 days.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)