Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

why do I keep trying craigslist? I must like hitting my head on the wall!

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 3:50 PM
  • 4 Replies

We are buying our first minivan from a private seller on craigslist. Very anal retentive person with every record ever kept and we feel we have a good deal. Hoping to have everything settled and my new van by wednesday. Thats the easy part as long as he doesn't do something shady like sell it before we put the plates on it.

the other side of the coin is that I am selling my car. I have a 1998 Pontiac Grand Am. I am asking $700.00. Edmunds sets the value for private sale at $749 for rough condition. The car is great and I'll be sad to see her go, but it does have some issues...hello.. its 12 years old! I have people writing me  for info and I'm honest.. and they they get mad because its not in prime condition. Loving the one that just say "call me now". Do manners never matter anymore? my favorite so far is the email from a woman and all she says is: "hello there do you smoke in the vehicle? I'm not a big fan of the smell thanks again"

Now I do get her point, really as my husband does smoke in HIS car and is not to smoke in mine. He does when he drives it but its rare. There is no smoke odor in the car. What drives me nuts is the wording. You are inquiring about purchasing something from me.. would it kill to say hi? or sign your name? I know I'm being cranky and its really just annoying me more then it should be.

I do have someone coming to see it tomorrow and I spoke with him on the phone and we chatted about the one issue. He's done mechanic work so it will be great for him. I had him laughing when I asked that he understood that for $700 and 12 years he knew it wasn't perfect. At least he has common sense.

CafeMom Tickers

by on May. 2, 2010 at 3:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
KimberlySnipes
by on May. 2, 2010 at 3:57 PM

I hear ya about rude responders on CL.  I just sold 2 phones on CL last night and before these 2 guys, I almost took the post down because I was so annoyed.  I had listed one of the phones at 225 obo.  I had people emailing me offering $50.  Seriously?  I mean, good try, but really? 

keljo05
by on May. 2, 2010 at 4:07 PM

yup.. had one emailer ask me flat out how low i would go... uhmm for you buddy? $699

imamombygrace
by on May. 2, 2010 at 4:16 PM

I love Craigslist. we bought our van off of it last year and I have made over 100.00 this year alone by selling things I no longer need spring cleaning. But, it sounds like they are asking basic buyer questions. Just as you would like to get a good deal on your van..so do they. I would much rather them ask me questions they really want answers to...then have me meet them somewhere to look at the car..only for them to not want to test drive b/c of smoke smell.

I also do not mind if they ask if I will go lower. Sometimes how valuable you think your item is...is not necessarily how valuable it actually is. I have seen some doozies on CL. Say for instance a 70s style furniture set for over 500.00!(I'm talking wooden wagon wheel print furniture) The posters seemed oblivious as to what the going rate for their items really were.

That's the risk you take when you post your items online. Also, by us asking for a lower price on our van...we saved 300.00 last year! If you don't want to go lower on your price...put FIRM behind your price.

keljo05
by on May. 2, 2010 at 4:56 PM

i'm not saying they are wrong for asking about the smoking or the reasons I say needs TLC..or for even asking for a lower price. But really.. bieng polite goes a long way and I'm always polite and leave my name at least. I'm also not firm on the price but I'm not telling someone who can't form a proper sentence what the lowest I'm going to go when they want a perfect car for an amount that is on edmiunds,com for rough condition. FWIW we bargained yesterday for a lower price on the van and I've done that with other things on craigslist. In fact all of my emails to the owner of the van were very polite and professional if not long.

I have replied to most of the ads with a very detailed description of whats a problem... yet a few come back annoyed that I'm not giving it away. The issues are not enough for that.

I also stated in my origianl post that I know I'm cranky today and the smoking one annoyed me more then it should have.  i appreciate your insights on how to use craigslist...have you not had many nut jobs answer your ads?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)