Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What is your opinion on

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 3:52 PM
  • 5 Replies

Parenting classes being able to be taken on the Internet? Is it a good thing or something that you feel that should be taken in a class hands on??

Please leave me your opinions..

Just curious becaus my youngest son's father and his wife have been ordered to take a parenting class to even try to get custody and they are taking it online and that does not seem right with me.. When him and I took the class to learn about behavorial issues with children we had to go to a class room and take the corse..

by on May. 2, 2010 at 3:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
wickedfiress
by Ruby Member on May. 2, 2010 at 3:59 PM

I don't think parenting can be "taught". There are many approaches to different scenarios you may face as a parent that you can learn, but in the end "parenting" is a learn as you go process.

As far as whether or not some of those approaches can be learned from reading text, sure why not?

Sirenabella
by on May. 2, 2010 at 4:09 PM

IMO most parenting classes that I've been to are a waste of time b/c they don't teach parenting skills anyway.

mitty18
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2010 at 4:16 PM

Personally i don't think you can be taught to be a parent in a classroom or otherwise because its something you learn as you go. You learn from experiences you have as you raise your children, and what type of parenting works best for you.

All i can see that you could learn in a parenting class would be differnet apporaches to parenting, and the differnet styles of parenting that are out there. Basically IMO if you can learn it in a classroom you can learn it online. I mean i am going to start taking college courses online, and i can learn just as much from the computer as sitting in the classroom at school. I suppose that could apply to all things you learn in a classroom.

MamaPeanut
by on May. 2, 2010 at 4:37 PM

I think it's better than nothing, but it would be better in person because so many things, like diapering and holding are hands-on.

laranadtony
by Emerald Member on May. 2, 2010 at 4:43 PM

I don't think that is a good idea.I can read.I don't need a parenting class online.I like being with other parents doing troubleshooting and problem solving.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)