• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What Are Your Thoughts On This Article

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 4:24 PM
  • 4 Replies

CHILDREN AND DOMESTIC VIOLENCE

Image of angry boy

"I GET IN TROUBLE FOR HITTING, BUT WHY? MOMMY AND DADDY DO IT."

Children are inclined to model the behavior of their parents. Those who witness or experience domestic violence tend to identify with their parents' method of resolving conflict. They learn by example, that hitting, slapping, and yelling seem to be effective and acceptable ways to solve problems. Many tend to use these methods of abuse in their relationships. Others may identify with the victim, and cope with violence by withdrawing. Upon reaching adulthood, the child may continue to act out violence or assume a victim role in interpersonal relationships, and the cycle continues to the next generation.

Many children who witness domestic violence become victims of post-traumatic stress disorder later in life. It manifests itself in many ways: Some are unable to have a healthy, committed relationship. Others become substance abusers. Many suffer a compulsiveness to perform or have a tendency to do nothing. Only intervention, and a desire to change old patterns will change the behavior.

Research shows that the cycle of violence often continues to the next generation

by on May. 2, 2010 at 4:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
hatinnd
by on May. 2, 2010 at 4:28 PM

Sooo true. And so sad.

LoriLou75
by on May. 2, 2010 at 4:31 PM

I agree with the article, not sure what else to comment.

StillMagnolia
by on May. 2, 2010 at 4:34 PM

I would have to agree with this.  I still continue to withdraw during arguments with my DH  and it used to drive him crazy until I really talked it out with him about what I witnessed as a child.  As much as I would like for it to, those memories don't just disappear and it does affect how I react in confrontations.

Sirenabella
by on May. 2, 2010 at 4:42 PM

I agree. It's why I got a divorce.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)