Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Spin off: Having stuff in common.... Edit with new question

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 4:42 PM
  • 25 Replies

So, in the age post everyone keeps talking about age difference making it where you don't have as much in common.  So, what is the age difference between you and your SO and what do you have in common?  And, how is age related to that?  I just don't really get it because my SO and I have plenty in common with 13 years difference and I don't see what the age has to do with it.

EDIT:  And those of you who have NOTHING in common...what do you do together, how does that work?  Not bashing at all...just curious.

by on May. 2, 2010 at 4:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lexismum03
by on May. 2, 2010 at 4:45 PM

I don't get the whole age argument. I dated lots of people older than me until i met my husband. We always had things in common. when I was 19 I dated someone who was 32 He was a great guy worked hard and was established in life. We ended up splitting up because we were better off as friends. We always did stuff together though! Me and my hubs are only a month apart and we also have alot in common. It goes with how mature you are.

breefullyme
by on May. 2, 2010 at 4:46 PM

Me and my SO have 9 years between us and he's my best friend. I don't remember how much in common we had when we first met, but now we like just about the same types of things.

college.mom
by on May. 2, 2010 at 4:46 PM

We are 3 years apart and have almost nothing in common.  There is nothing age related about it, we are just very different, and we love it.

jcsg
by on May. 2, 2010 at 4:49 PM

That whole age thing just made me laugh.  Why should anyone really care?  My husband and I are a year apart.  We have pretty much nothing in common.  And we've been together for 21years.  So that argument is null and void as far as I'm concerned.  

thisloveofmine
by on May. 2, 2010 at 4:52 PM

We are 3 1/2 years apart and have pretty much nothing in common. We are two VERY different people. It's the whole opposites attract thing I guess. Our age has nothing to do with our differences though.

babysyoungmom1
by on May. 2, 2010 at 4:53 PM

My ex was 27 yrs older than me. We had little in common. He would go on and on about how women did whatever back in his day whenever i wanted to go out somewhere or something. He'd be like women in my day stayed home or some dumb shit like that. Or what I wore he would say "People in my day didnt wear stuff like that". When we watched tv he would like stuff that was made decades before I was born and It just didnt interest me. Didnt change  her diapers because "men back in his day didnt do women's work" it sucked.

Use it

MovalMomsADMIN
by on May. 2, 2010 at 4:54 PM

we r like 2 yrs apart and dont have much in common lol well, exceptformaybe somemusic and style

Amom4BabyDude
by on May. 2, 2010 at 4:57 PM

The reason I am curious about those who have nothing in common is because I guess my husband and I have a bestfriends type of relationship on top of our married relationship.  Before our child was born, we did a lot of stuff like volunteering together and hobbies together and a lot of our relationship was based on that.  Though, lately we haven't been able to do any of that due to have a young child and another on the way.

Aidansmom71206
by on May. 2, 2010 at 4:59 PM

My dh and I are 11 years apart and we have a lot of things in common. We both like the same types of music and movies, we have a lot of the same hobbies.  I don't see what age has to do with it either.

jcsg
by on May. 2, 2010 at 5:00 PM

To answer your other question..   We compromise.  We also don't force the other to do things.  In a good marriage, you have to realize that the other person will have different beliefs/interest than you do.  And you have to be willing to give yourself and your partner the freedom to choose what they want to do.  Also, there are times when we will "sacrifice" what we want to do if its important to the other.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)