Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is kindergarten manditory in your state?

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 5:08 PM
  • 37 Replies

If no do you think it should be and why?It is not mandatory where I live and I think its crazy why would you not want your child to be in kindergarten and go right into first grade with so many children ahead of them and how are teacher supposed to effectively teach when not all children know what they need to to be in school?

What are your opininons about kindergarten should it be mandittory why why not?

I'm a married to a disabled vet, natural birthing, breast feeding, co-sleeping, vaccinating, , montissori schooling, cloth diapering kinda mom. I'm pro-choice, democratic, trying to find faith, and all for world peace. So, now that we got that outta the way...it's nice to meet you!

Love the life you live,live the life you love.-Bob Marley

by on May. 2, 2010 at 5:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
poshkat
by on May. 2, 2010 at 5:10 PM

yes, in NYS it is. pre-k isnt.

savannahnhi
by on May. 2, 2010 at 5:11 PM

yes it is.

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on May. 2, 2010 at 5:11 PM

Pre-K and Kindergarten are not mandatory in NYC but I think Kindergarten should be but due to space issues they probably won't do it for awhile

amb_josh
by on May. 2, 2010 at 5:12 PM

You know i dont know if its manditory here. But i think its great that its there. Yes some dont know what they are spose to know, but thats the point of it. Is to get kids caught up with the others before 1st grade

Lauriemom
by on May. 2, 2010 at 5:12 PM

No it isn't, but I don't know anyone who doesn't send their kids. Except of course home schoolers

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on May. 2, 2010 at 5:13 PM

Quoting poshkat:

yes, in NYS it is. pre-k isnt.

What part if NY are you in???? I'm in NYC/Queens and its not mandatory here.

Rubygl00m
by on May. 2, 2010 at 5:13 PM

Quoting Lauriemom:

No it isn't, but I don't know anyone who doesn't send their kids. Except of course home schoolers

Kris_PBG
by on May. 2, 2010 at 5:14 PM

Maybe that is what is used to be for - but K now has it's own benchmarks and standards...  Kindergarten has it's own specific material that must be covered these days.

Heck - the kids in our elementary schools Pre-K leave pre-k reading...

Quoting amb_josh:

You know i dont know if its manditory here. But i think its great that its there. Yes some dont know what they are spose to know, but thats the point of it. Is to get kids caught up with the others before 1st grade

milrtme80
by on May. 2, 2010 at 5:16 PM

It is mandatory in Missouri. I think it is a great thing for kids. It prepares them for school. Some school districts have half day kindergarten and some have full days. In Missouri though pre-school is an option. But most pre-school programs you have to pay for. We are getting ready to enroll our daughter into the pre-school program at our church. She'll be 5 in Sept but her bday falls to late in the year so she'll have to wait until she's almost 6 before starting school. But she is ready for school. Unfortunatly the state of Missouri won't let you test your kids into school... which I think is a bunch of crap.

amb_josh
by on May. 2, 2010 at 5:17 PM

What really? My impression of kindergarten was its preparing them for 1st grade. And In first grade they started all the testing and stuff. WOW. I didnt know that, but then again i really dont have a reason to know it yet, my dd is only 9 months old

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Maybe that is what is used to be for - but K now has it's own benchmarks and standards...  Kindergarten has it's own specific material that must be covered these days.

Heck - the kids in our elementary schools Pre-K leave pre-k reading...

Quoting amb_josh:

CafeMom Tickers

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)