Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

For those who sew...

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 5:17 PM
  • 9 Replies

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My old sewing machine was lost in my move from Washington to Oregon so I need to buy a new one. My old one was very basic since I got it several years ago when I was first learning. Well, I have decided that since I need a new one I want to upgrade. What kind do you have? I need to make sure it is strong enough for heavy fabrics like demin & corduroy. I really don't want to spend more than $200.

by on May. 2, 2010 at 5:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Abeauchamp
by on May. 2, 2010 at 5:19 PM

Wal Mart.. Went there today for some supplies and seen one for under $100.00 and it was basic but there are others that are under $200.00 that have more features

1busymomma03
by on May. 2, 2010 at 5:20 PM

I sew a lot, but I really can't help you pick a machine. I'm using an old Brother that is pretty basic as well. I really want to upgrade sometime...I've been looking around at sergers..that's what I really want. LOL

Here's a bump though.

kgsharber
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2010 at 5:21 PM

I have a brother from Wal-Mart. I paid $139 for it and it is amazing!! And the help line will talk you through anything step by step. I was leary of buying a "cheap" one, but now I would never buy anything else.

bugnroosmom
by on May. 2, 2010 at 5:21 PM

I agree. they have a pretty good variety at our Walmart.  I have one picked out I want there.

Quoting Abeauchamp:

Wal Mart.. Went there today for some supplies and seen one for under $100.00 and it was basic but there are others that are under $200.00 that have more features

kgsharber
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2010 at 5:22 PM

It's the Project Runway edition and has digital readings on the side.

Quoting kgsharber:

I have a brother from Wal-Mart. I paid $139 for it and it is amazing!! And the help line will talk you through anything step by step. I was leary of buying a "cheap" one, but now I would never buy anything else.

momof5inohio
by on May. 2, 2010 at 5:25 PM

I would suggest Singer. You can change your needles to lightweight fabric or heavy duty needles. So there for its the variety that you need. I love my Singer and couldn't live wtihout it. Here is one that is in your price range.

http://www.joann.com/joann/search/searchall.jsp?keyword=Singer&catPath=All%20Products////Product%20Home////UserSearch=Singer&_requestid=312528

I would suggest this one its wonderful

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/productdetail.jsp?pageName=search&flag=true&PRODID=xprd612936

Abigailia
by on May. 2, 2010 at 5:28 PM

I really like the project runway Brothers! I have a Euro Pro Shark, it was really inexpensive and it worked for awhile, and then just got really testy and I don't use it anymore, I picked up a free singer because the lady said it didn't work, I cleaned it up and all it needed was a metal bobbin!

brbrowen
by on May. 2, 2010 at 5:33 PM

Shark Electronic Sewing Machine  I have a shark euro pro sewing machine itelli sew It is nice I dont think this is the same but it is made by the same people it's 199 at target

VeronicaTex
by on May. 2, 2010 at 7:02 PM

I second this!!!!!!

I have a very simple sewing machine that is a Singer..and it does a beautiful job!!!!!

It really loves me when I use the right thread and the right needle for the fabric I'm working with!!!!!  ;) 

Quoting momof5inohio:

I would suggest Singer. You can change your needles to lightweight fabric or heavy duty needles. So there for its the variety that you need. I love my Singer and couldn't live wtihout it. Here is one that is in your price range.

http://www.joann.com/joann/search/searchall.jsp?keyword=Singer&catPath=All%20Products////Product%20Home////UserSearch=Singer&_requestid=312528

I would suggest this one its wonderful

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/productdetail.jsp?pageName=search&flag=true&PRODID=xprd612936

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)