Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need Help SERIOUSLY! Depo Provera and TTC *update*

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 5:31 PM
  • 31 Replies

My husband and I are starting to TTC. My depo provera ends on May 17th. How will I know my ovulation cycle? When will I have a period? How can I plan conception? He leaves for boot camp for the US Army in August and we want to be pregnant by then. Any advice, suggestions, tips, ANYTHING?

My first depo shot was December 10th, 2009. I've only had two cycles of it. I'm praying hard now and fighting back tears. I didn't know any of this...

CafeMom Tickers
by on May. 2, 2010 at 5:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amee8605
by on May. 2, 2010 at 5:32 PM

Don't want to scare you, but it took me over a YEAR to even get a period after I quit depo. I was on it for 2 or 3 years. After the initial year, my dr. put me on the pill and it took six months after that to get a period at all....

CAarmywife
by on May. 2, 2010 at 5:34 PM

ya i agree with pp. my dr wouldnt put me on depo when i was saying i wanted my children 1.5 years a part.

nikki0522
by on May. 2, 2010 at 5:34 PM

It took me a good 2 years to get pregnant after going off of depo! That stuff is evil and really messes up your fertility!

ETA: I was on Depo for only about 18 months.

petersgal
by on May. 2, 2010 at 5:35 PM

ooo thats hard hon.  Heres the way it works...

it can take up to a year after your depo ends for you to start having a cycle again.  So if yours ENDS on May 17th - you may not have a cycle again until May of next year ( I found this out after I quit depo and started ttc again)

My last depo shot ended in January of 2009 - I didn't have a period until July, I didn't have a REGULAR cycle until September (when I ovulated) and I didn't get pregnant again until this January (2010)

ETA: There are some great TTC groups on CM with info on how to know when you are ovulating, and how to track your entire cycle

My favorite was this group: http://www.cafemom.com/group/30079

southernjess3

its probably gonna take atleast a year to get pregnant. the doctors dont tell you that..

amee8605

I was PISSED. I was 16 when I went on it, and either 18 or 19 when I told her I wanted to go off of it and on something else, because I planned on having kids young, and didn't want to have any problems conceiving. She laughed at me and said I didn't need to be thinking about that at my age. BITCH! Lol. Needless to say, I switched dr.'s.

MarissasMommy20
by on May. 2, 2010 at 5:36 PM

Some people get pregnant after being a week late for their shot and others can have trouble getting pregnant for some time after stopping.

All depends on how long you were on it and how your body will react

Abutcher
by on May. 2, 2010 at 5:37 PM

Not to be negative or upset you but getting pregnant right after Depo is almost impossible. Your periods are so irregular, you don't know when they are going to start, stop, when you exactly ovulate, or even if your going to have a period for that month. I worked in a OBGYN office and there was alot of women who came through there with this problem. They hated the shot after they tryed to conceive and couldn't right off the bat! I wish you the best of luck....maybe you will be one of the lucky ones. I do not recommend the shot to any woman, I would like too see it come off the market.  Good Luck!!

my2sons2007
by on May. 2, 2010 at 5:38 PM

probably not gonna happen by Aug momma.  It took DH and i over a year and a miscarriage before we got DS.  I don't mean to scare you.  But they say it can take up to a year before everything is back on track.  But good luck and Baby dust!! 

celestegood
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2010 at 5:39 PM

I took depo three times, and it caused so many problems for me:

spotting for a year, even after I stopped.

No periods after the one year mark, well after the last shot.  I went a year, then six months, and for five years after my last shot, I never had a normal period.  It varied from 2 months to a year between shots.

I got pregnant five years after my last shot.  I have two friends who had the same issues, and when we finally concieved, it felt like a miracle.

Every woman is different; but depo is def a bad thing to take if you wanna be preggos right away.

BTW-depo causes permanent bone loss. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)