Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am at my wits end.

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 5:35 PM
  • 12 Replies

I am out of ideas. Maybe one of you can help me.

I have a 9 month old daughter. She is formula fed due to medical problems with us both, so dont even start. She;s suposed to be eating more solid food a day, which she does.

She REFUSES to nap without a bottle, even if she JUST ate. Wic only gives me 24 cans (she drinks concentrated soy formula. digestion problems. cant have the powder.) The cans are 13 oz. mox with water thats 25 oz of formula. At 8 oz bottles at a time, thats only 75 bottles a month they allow me formula for. She drinks twice that.

If i only give her a bottle at nap time and 1-2 bottles at night (she still gets up that many times on average) thats 4-5 bottles a day.

I have TRIED giving her juice in a bottle. No go. She wants formula at nap time and will scream for half an hour or more if she doesnt get it. I have no idea what I should do to get her drinking less bottles a day the way wic and her dr says I have to. I already have to buy a ton of it off my food stamps, and at 5 bucks a can it isn't cheap.

Anyone have any ideas? Ive tried bottles and sippys of juice, i tried less formula, i tried feeding her before nap i tried not giving her anything. Help?

I am a tollerant, laid back, happy mom of a beautiful baby girl who doesn't feel the need to justify her parenting style to you.

by on May. 2, 2010 at 5:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CVislosky
by on May. 2, 2010 at 5:41 PM

I am having trouble reducing the amount of formula in a day too. I give my son a 4 oz bottle at nap and 6oz at bedtime. He normally wakes up 1-2 times and he gets 6 oz each time. If I know he is way tired, and he finished his bottle, I let him cry for about 15 minutes or so before I go and rock him to sleep. Most of the time he will cry himself to sleep after about 5-10 minutes.

I hope this helps. Maybe just try and make 100% sure she is tired before you put her down for nap or bed. 

othermom
by Ruby Member on May. 2, 2010 at 5:41 PM

My daughter acts like that sometimes, as soon as she falls asleep I take the bottle awy and give her a binky, It is a hard habit to break. To help with the formula try emailing the manufacture and requesting coupons, some will help.

matofour
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2010 at 5:41 PM

okay, you lost me?  You want to know how to get her to drink less formula?
At 9 months, she should be mainly drinking formula.  Between 32-36 ounces a day.

Juice isn't really good for her either,its empty calories.

She shouldn't be taking anything to bed with her, its bad for her teeth.  It will cause baby bottle rot, and then she will be getting her teeth pulled. In my opinion, you have to cold turkey her off the bottle at bedtime.  Unless its WATER, anything else will sit in her mouth and rot her teeth. 

Tawanda74
by on May. 2, 2010 at 5:42 PM

That's a tough one momma, if she just ate and still wants the bottle for nap time then it sounds like she likes the bottle/formula more for comfort then food.

When you say you've tried less formula, do you mean you put less in the water/formula mix or that you put less in the bottle altogether?

haileysmom2833
by on May. 2, 2010 at 5:44 PM

I don't really understand why you would be limiting the amout of formula the child gets anyway.  Is that really the best idea, to cut out where most of the nutrition comes from?  I don't think so anyway!  Try going online and looking for coupons, or craigslist!

becky0899
by on May. 2, 2010 at 5:44 PM

I'm not sure but I'll bump for u.

jjessers
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2010 at 5:46 PM

Not going to tell you what your doign is right or wrong...

Try diluting the formula , just the ones that she goes to bed with.

She obviously still needs the nutrition at that age so ONLY make it the bed time bottles. To sooth her to sleep until she grows out of that.

MOMby19
by on May. 2, 2010 at 5:51 PM

OH!!! i can help you!! lol. dd is 9 months old and was the SAME way until just a couple weeks ago. what i do is i give her a BIG bowl of cereal (for BIG bowl i really mean a child bowl... it just has around 5/6oz of cereal instead of 4 (cuz that's the fruit and veggie jars)) and then i would put her in a vibrating seat and give her a 4oz bottle. then i'd pick her up when she was done, give her her pacifier, and put her down for her first nap. when she eats lunch i give her the fruits, put her in the seat with a 6oz bottle, and repeat the binky and nap. same thing with her dinner veggie as with lunch. i did that for a couple weeks. now, she eats her food, has a little sippy cup with some juice-water and her bottle while in her high chair and THEN goes down for her nap. she still has an 8oz bottle (sometimes 2) at night, but i think that's mostly cuz she's going through a growth spurt. in the next month or so i hope to end that, too. so she went from 40oz a day to 24-32. it doesn't sound like much, but with her juice and eating solids at every meal she's cut out 1-2 full bottles a day.

and... i don't ever make her drink the juice-water. i do, however, offer it before the bottle. when she simply refuses the juice then she gets the milk. if you have any other questions feel free to PM me. :)

Squeakette
by on May. 2, 2010 at 8:07 PM

Quoting matofour:

okay, you lost me?  You want to know how to get her to drink less formula?
At 9 months, she should be mainly drinking formula.  Between 32-36 ounces a day.

Juice isn't really good for her either,its empty calories.

She shouldn't be taking anything to bed with her, its bad for her teeth.  It will cause baby bottle rot, and then she will be getting her teeth pulled. In my opinion, you have to cold turkey her off the bottle at bedtime.  Unless its WATER, anything else will sit in her mouth and rot her teeth. 

Dr said that no, she should be eating mainly solid foods and less bottles. She told me to start weening her off formula and bottles all together by one. And WIC refuses to give me enough formula to feed her what you are saying she should be eating, regardless. it is their opinion she should be eating mostly solids too.

Dr suggested it instead of formula at nap time.

She will not eat any other way. She sits up and drinks it in her crib and then lays down and sleeps.  If you give her bottle to her before she goes down, she drinks a sip and crawls off, and then cries because she's hungry She will eat one bottle a day like this, and not get enough food. She lost 2 pounds before I started letting her drink her bottle in bed.

She throws her bottles if it's anything but formula.

I am a tollerant, laid back, happy mom of a beautiful baby girl who doesn't feel the need to justify her parenting style to you.

Squeakette
by on May. 2, 2010 at 8:08 PM

Quoting Tawanda74:

That's a tough one momma, if she just ate and still wants the bottle for nap time then it sounds like she likes the bottle/formula more for comfort then food.

When you say you've tried less formula, do you mean you put less in the water/formula mix or that you put less in the bottle altogether?

Less formula all together. I would never dilute her formula, because that would dilute the nutrients.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)