Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What?!? Don't You Have Date Night?

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 6:25 PM
  • 30 Replies

I was just reading the baby sitter post & it seems that most of the replies were moms saying they 'never' or 'rarely' leave their child with anyone.  Why is that?  Don't you & your DH have date nights?  How do you shop for Christmas/ birthday gifts?  I know DH would be crushed if I picked out our DD's gifts without him; he is her father & has just as much say as me.  I don't get it?  Doesn't your DH want some time just the two of you?  Hell?!?  Don't you? 

by on May. 2, 2010 at 6:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kodysmommy928
by on May. 2, 2010 at 6:27 PM

Haven't had "date night" since 2004!  We go Birthday and Christmas shopping without the kids, but they are just with his mom and we rush to get home, so I don't think that counts.

anetrnlov
by on May. 2, 2010 at 6:28 PM

We rarely go out...we can't afford it and I don't like inconveniencing other people's lives.

We do sometimes have a dinner and dinner/movie night here at the house after the kids go to bed or we will have snacks and play video games together after the kids go to bed and sometimes we sit out on the front porch and drink wine together after the kids go to bed.

You can spend time together without spending money!

Usually we shop via the Internet so we are both sitting right here.  If it is something we are buying we decide ahead of time and one of us goes and gets it.

I don't see why it is such a big deal....

chels33
by on May. 2, 2010 at 6:29 PM

I have a friend and we switch off watching eachothers kids so we can both go out. Works out well.

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on May. 2, 2010 at 6:29 PM

We dont have anyone to watch her so no we dont have date night.  For gift shopping she goes with us and we either split up or pick things up while she is still with us.   When my dad is here, he will usually take her with him to run around town or send me and bf out with money to go out to dinner.

BlessedToBMommy
by on May. 2, 2010 at 6:30 PM

We dont have a sitter unless my mom can do it, and we do not trust hiring someone else, or any other family members. Thier safety is worth more than a night out. We never have any money anyway, so we are lucky to just make the bills, nevermind going out. And christmas gifts, we shop online and I go get them, most years though we were able to do it with the babies in tow, and just hide the "other cart" around the corner, and split up at check out.

-xoxo-

This. 

Quoting anetrnlov:

We rarely go out...we can't afford it and I don't like inconveniencing other people's lives.

We do sometimes have a dinner and dinner/movie night here at the house after the kids go to bed or we will have snacks and play video games together after the kids go to bed and sometimes we sit out on the front porch and drink wine together after the kids go to bed.

You can spend time together without spending money!

Usually we shop via the Internet so we are both sitting right here.  If it is something we are buying we decide ahead of time and one of us goes and gets it.

I don't see why it is such a big deal....

Danessa

I think date nights are super important for relationships... my hubby and I don't get too many anymore, since we moved away from family, but we do have some close friends who will watch them for us, pretty much whenever we want, but i feel bad having them do that... We do get to go to school together friday nights, while friends watch the boys. But we rush back to them straight after....

mama2conor
by on May. 2, 2010 at 6:31 PM

We have been out a couple of times, just the two of us. But honestly, we don't feel the need or desire to do things without our son. He is our life. If he's not with us, we're not really having a good time. We don't feel deprived if we can't go out, this is our life, it is the way we chose it to be. Shopping for Christmas, birthdays, etc? Eh he doesn't give input either way, so going together doesn't matter.

Trust me, we do ok.

SThompson21
by on May. 2, 2010 at 6:32 PM

i would love it but we dont feel comfortable leaving him with anyone. sometimes the base does a "give parents a break" which is done by the CDC and we normally go out then. its only for a few hours and its once a month but it works out ok

imamombygrace
by on May. 2, 2010 at 6:33 PM

We would love a date night..but, we refuse to leave our children with random strangers and family that are alcoholics/addicted to pills. When we had them we made the decision to put them before our wants. Why is that hard to understand..that some do not have a good support system?

We buy Christmas present all throughout the deal when we see great deals. So we buy presents on the nights our children do get to spend the night with DH's parents, youngest is too young to remember anything...oldest goes to preschool..we buy then.

We do have time for the two of us. You can not spend time with your spouse after your kiddos go to bed? We have a date night every Friday night that dh is not on call at home. Last night we had chocolate dipped strawberries, filet mignon, baked potatoes, massages, candles, and the whole nine yards. Very romantic, very fun, and our kids were asleep. I even did a blog on just this topic...as well as a frugal date night tips...here are some pics of our "at home" date night.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)