Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Am I doing my child a disservice?

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 6:27 PM
  • 72 Replies

Am I doing my children a disservice by buying generic, off-brand, thrift store clothes?  I was told buy someone the other day that it's ok now that my children are young, but once they are in school, I will HAVE to buy them name brand clothes.  They said that kids are cruel and you have to have name brand expensive clothes in order to not get picked on.  I mean, as long as the clothes are cute and they fit, I don't see the problem with them.  I'm not going to be like Martin's mom and buy them SIKES instead of NIKES, but I'm certainly not going to let that get me all stressed either.

CafeMom Tickers
by on May. 2, 2010 at 6:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jackiec7707
by on May. 2, 2010 at 6:29 PM

I will buy my kids name brand clothes, because I know that it is important. I have always had name brand clothes and shoes, and felt bad for the kids who didn't. You do know that they have consignment shops where you can get name brand clothes pretty cheap right?

Autumnmom24
by on May. 2, 2010 at 6:31 PM

If you ask me, It doesnt matter what you buy, brand name or knock off, they are made by the same company, but the knock offs are made to be cheaper. Kids are going to pick on kids for anything and everything, if its not the clothes it will be something else. You do not have to do something because another mother said so.

GreenEyePixie
by Ruby Member on May. 2, 2010 at 6:33 PM

They will wear what I can afford from Wal-mart. I survived without having Nikes, and all those name-brand expensive clothing. Nobody made fun of me (well at least not where I could hear them). If you cant afford it or just don't want to buy it that is fine. I think it is the personality of a person rather than the stuff they have that makes me notice them.  my opinion only.

VeronicaTex
by on May. 2, 2010 at 6:34 PM

Are kids now bullying about clothes???????

I was a teacher in at risk public schools and this was never an issue...of course the kids had a mode of dress and this put every one on an even base to start with.

I believe as long as the clothes are pressed and fit well....why should it matter?????

PS.  Some of my favorite clothes are ones I've bought 50% off or at YIKES!!!!  Dollar General!!!! or at thrift stores....

It's all in the presentation!!!!! They're going to look awesome!!!!!!

WickedWonder
by on May. 2, 2010 at 6:36 PM

nope my whole life my mom got us thrift store clothing and non name brands such as walmart..i was never once made fun of either....i actually found way nicer stuff at thrift stores..name brand stuff too.

Bambi5826
by on May. 2, 2010 at 6:36 PM

I never had a problem with not having name brand crap. I loved shopping at Debs in HS.....it was probably my FAV store. My niece, 7, has friends that wear name brand stuff to school, butshe prefers to shop at wal-mart!

allurasmamma
by on May. 2, 2010 at 6:37 PM

You can get nice name brand clothes from 2nd hand stores, so I don't know what she is talking about.

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on May. 2, 2010 at 6:37 PM

This would be another benefit of a private education, UNIFORMS!  Everyone looks exactly the same!

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on May. 2, 2010 at 6:38 PM

As long as it looks nice.  You cant tell name brand from other not as big brands unless they have the name blazoned (right word?) across the outfit.  We will do certain brands just bc of how they fit on DD or myself.   Alot of her clothes were gap , old navy, childrens place hand me downs.

manda0424
by on May. 2, 2010 at 6:38 PM

Nope, name brands are stupid! I buy Target brand everything! lol It;s just as good and my kid looks cute! Thrift stores are also awesome. NIKE is the DEVIL!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)