• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you live in Military Housing?????

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 7:01 PM
  • 26 Replies

I just have to know if this is just me..lol if im just this lucky..but ever since we moved to this base and have lived in base housing we have had endless troubles with ants...weve bought EVERY dang thing on the market...and even tried EVERY natural remedy as well...nothing has worked..you name it weve tried it...the longest we go without ants at a time is 2 weeks..then they come right back in force..all I do at this point is just vacuum them up (and I always keep traps out..no matter what and we spray the home defense around the outside and inside of the house twice a month)..since nothing works..but for every ant I vacuum up there are 100 more to replace it. Everyone keeps saying everyone gets ants..but when we lived off base here we never got them at all..and I lived in the same type of climent before moving here and lived there for years and never had ants at even one point. I just dont know what the issue is..is it just military housing in general???? Is it because of how they are built??

by on May. 2, 2010 at 7:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
imdana1122
by on May. 2, 2010 at 7:07 PM

I'm sorry you are going through that trouble!!  We just retired from the Navy & have lived in housing throughout our 15 yr ( almost May 19th ) marriage.  We've never had problem w/ants.  Maybe call the housing office to see what they can do for you?  Good luck sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Oneatatimemommy
by on May. 2, 2010 at 7:07 PM

I lived in military housing and know others and non of us had ants.  Maybe it is just that housing section?  I know an area where I used to live had a mouse problem.  Have you talked to the housing office to see if they can help you at all?

mommycomespring
by on May. 2, 2010 at 7:10 PM

You could probably get something to put in the yard around your house if they keep coming back this would stop them. Also i wouldn't use the baits because they keep the ants coming in. They kill them but they also attract them to that certain spot. I usually get ants once the weather warms and i usually spray some ant spray around the inside of window frames and other cracks and this usually helps keep them at bay.

RmeWifey01
by on May. 2, 2010 at 7:13 PM

I don't live on post and I have ants. Just keep all food put away and the counters and floors clean. Keep the dishes washed b/c they love food & drink residue.

Italiancouture7
by on May. 2, 2010 at 7:17 PM

Quoting Oneatatimemommy:

I lived in military housing and know others and non of us had ants.  Maybe it is just that housing section?  I know an area where I used to live had a mouse problem.  Have you talked to the housing office to see if they can help you at all?

Ya they contacted my DH's 1st Sergeant because they didnt want to deal with me anymore..I put in a request for a different house because of all the problems we were having...not just with ants but also rats in the winter..they told my DH were not allowed to call anymore and we have to solve the problem for ourself from no on..or move off base..which we cant afford..so we are stuck..but it sux and its really annoying..they are terrible here and only those who live in older housing having the problem..but they are never going to move us so we are just stuck

Aamy
by on May. 2, 2010 at 7:25 PM

If you live with a home connected to yours, it could be your neighbors. Have you tried just spraying pure ammonia on the outside of your home ?? And putting it where they are coming in ?? Ants will not cross ammonia. Now it WILL wash off on the outside of a house, you just keep retreating there. 

momoftatertots
by on May. 2, 2010 at 7:27 PM

we have fire ants in our back yard bad but I just put a killer out and they are gone for 3 months then i redo the yard. Sorry your housing sucks, where are you at?

Italiancouture7
by on May. 2, 2010 at 7:32 PM

Quoting Aamy:

If you live with a home connected to yours, it could be your neighbors. Have you tried just spraying pure ammonia on the outside of your home ?? And putting it where they are coming in ?? Ants will not cross ammonia. Now it WILL wash off on the outside of a house, you just keep retreating there. 

no but we have a dog so we definitely dont wanna do anything like that

Italiancouture7
by on May. 2, 2010 at 7:32 PM

Quoting momoftatertots:

we have fire ants in our back yard bad but I just put a killer out and they are gone for 3 months then i redo the yard. Sorry your housing sucks, where are you at?

whiteman afb..

HisNo1Fan
by on May. 2, 2010 at 7:34 PM

We have ants and roaches! And they are starting to come full force since it's getting hot out!!! The guy that sprays housing was here a couple of weeks ago but that was pointless. I spray often with Ortho but it only helps a little bit. I'm in the same boat, sorry

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)