Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

single moms

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 7:34 PM
  • 16 Replies

how do u single moms make it financially?! this is  a serious question. I have been with my so since we were in HS. so 7 years..and we have two kids. we have been having a hard time in our relationship...i know we are only together because of the kids. But i am ready to move on. I am just scared to because i know that financially i can not afford it. I work a full time job, but my mortgage alone will take almost half my monthly income...so how do u single women do it?

by on May. 2, 2010 at 7:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommyiverson22
by on May. 2, 2010 at 7:38 PM

really noone is a single mom? wow!

Loveofmylife07
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2010 at 7:40 PM

It was really hard for me at first. but I was only 18. I had to live with my parents again until I could get on my feet. It was very hard for me but I was very young.

hollinicole
by on May. 2, 2010 at 7:44 PM

A lot of planning. You move to where u can afford to live. You plan out meals, don't go out to eat, plan to do all the shopping at one time so there's not extra trips to the store to save on gas. Its hard at first but a lot of planning and saving. Plus since you where married you would get child support and all so that would help.

mommyiverson22
by on May. 2, 2010 at 7:45 PM

Quoting Loveofmylife07:

It was really hard for me at first. but I was only 18. I had to live with my parents again until I could get on my feet. It was very hard for me but I was very younl

living with my parents is not an option..I live in a completly diffrent state that ANY of my family...I can not just leave this state because i just bought a house...

roxy85
by on May. 2, 2010 at 7:46 PM

I'd see if you can sell the house because inevitably that will have to happen during a divorce. Move closer to family or friends who can be there to help you. File for child support as soon as you leave. You don't have to be divorced to get it.

mommyiverson22
by on May. 2, 2010 at 7:47 PM

yea i know once i get the child support i would be fine..because i have all my bills figured out..what i make covers all my bills..but that is it..so child supoort would be used for household items and gas to get to work

Quoting hollinicole:

A lot of planning. You move to where u can afford to live. You plan out meals, don't go out to eat, plan to do all the shopping at one time so there's not extra trips to the store to save on gas. Its hard at first but a lot of planning and saving. Plus since you where married you would get child support and all so that would help.

mommyiverson22
by on May. 2, 2010 at 7:49 PM

Quoting roxy85:

I'd see if you can sell the house because inevitably that will have to happen during a divorce. Move closer to family or friends who can be there to help you. File for child support as soon as you leave. You don't have to be divorced to get it.

we are not married...and the house is only in my name...my mortgage is cheaper than most apartments around here.....

roxy85
by on May. 2, 2010 at 7:49 PM

Something else to think about is he has just as much right to the children as you do. So if he wanted to he can take them and move wherever he wants. Until you have a court order for child custody the kids are essentially fair game as long as no one is taking them and keeping them from the other parent. I just left my husband in Texas and took our kids back to California with me. He's military so he didn't protest.

Quoting mommyiverson22:

Quoting Loveofmylife07:

It was really hard for me at first. but I was only 18. I had to live with my parents again until I could get on my feet. It was very hard for me but I was very younl

living with my parents is not an option..I live in a completly diffrent state that ANY of my family...I can not just leave this state because i just bought a house...

Party Balloons Child Birthday Ticker
And divorce makes three... Follow my blog about my new journey into the unknown...
roxy85
by on May. 2, 2010 at 7:51 PM

Well, that makes things easier because legally you can kick him out of the house if you want. Child support would help subsidize the difference you'd be losing from his income and maybe you can look into a second job...

Quoting mommyiverson22:

Quoting roxy85:

we are not married...and the house is only in my name...my mortgage is cheaper than most apartments around here.....

Party Balloons Child Birthday Ticker
And divorce makes three... Follow my blog about my new journey into the unknown...
reecenkaden
by on May. 2, 2010 at 7:52 PM

Downsize, cut off your cable, if you smoke quit, if the kids to extra curriculars cut them down to a single one per child or end them temporarily. Get in touch with local churches and foodbanks. No leisure shopping, no eating out.

Or become a stripper. Desperate single guys with disposable income LOVE to support single moms.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)