• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

IUD a good idea?

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 8:20 PM
  • 23 Replies

I am considering having one put in the next time I go to see my dr. I have researched the side effects and a little about it but I want to know what other women who actually have them think. What problems have you experienced if any and would you recommend it?

CafeMom Tickers
by on May. 2, 2010 at 8:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Plus-size-mommy
by StarBaby on May. 2, 2010 at 8:30 PM

I had the Mirena one for 5 years, it was great up until the last year, I started getting hellacious cramps and no period, I'd always had my period with mine. I would still recommend them to someone though, I now have the non-hormonal one, Paraguard, no problems with it at all yet.

kylismomma
by on May. 2, 2010 at 8:32 PM

I hated the Mirena! It got dislodged out of place and hurt like crazy until I got it removed. No more IUDs for me..hubby is getting a vasectomy in August.

JesusFreak3345
by on May. 2, 2010 at 8:33 PM

I have the Mirena and I love it! I had the regular cramping after they put it in for about 2-3 weeks and about 4 months of irregular periods, that's about it

Logan_Bellasmom
by Falling Starr on May. 2, 2010 at 8:33 PM

I have one..i have had it for almost 3 years. I have had no side effects and no problems at all. i would recommend it.

shortysashious2
by on May. 2, 2010 at 8:34 PM

I had the paraguard and I had infections ALL the time.  (Yeast, sorry I know TMI)  I got it taken out a year ago and have only had one.  I was going to try the Mirena but I would had to pay for it and haven't had $500 laying around.  I've since decided against getting it.

CAarmywife
by on May. 2, 2010 at 8:34 PM

i dont have one due to family having babies on them. i told that to my ob at my 6 week check up and he said "iud out, how about birth control pills?"

Mel30248
by on May. 2, 2010 at 8:37 PM

I have had Mirena for 2 1/2 years. It has its good side & bad side. I have no more periods which is great however, my sex drive is gone. It's not even like low its completely gone I want nothing to do with sex & havent for 2 1/2 years. At first I thought since I had my daughter a few weeks before I got the IUD that it was baby blues but after thislong of this been going on still nothing I am guessing its the IUD. I have to ipck out a new type of bc to try now to see if it is the IUD. Other then the sex thign I love it though no cramps or period nothing.

debbie26
by on May. 2, 2010 at 8:40 PM

I have the Mirena and love it no periods just a lil acne... I was just bleeding but went to the gyno and he said it was just something that happened and next day stopped bleeding weird since i was bleeding going on 2 weeks then after i see him it stops ..... All well i like it and im glad i have it and also i had it since September 09

Kellileanne
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2010 at 8:40 PM

I had a period two weeks after getting mine put in (was not nearly as painful as everyone I had heard said--uncomfortable but nothing that was worse than menstral cramps) and have had NO complaints since then!  I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I wish I would have done it at my 6 week pp visit, but no, I was too nervous about it and waited till just before she was 2.  Life would have been soo much easier if I would have just gotten it when I first thought about it.

emmiesmommy1109
by on May. 2, 2010 at 8:41 PM

As soon as I get this coming period, I am going in and getting the Mirena. I was going to get the Paraguard but I was talking to my doctor about it and he said since I already have heavy bleeding and extremely bad cramps, he would highly recommend against the Paraguard. He said ti would make them worse. He said Mirena would help or take away my periods all together.

I was concerned about the side effects because I smoke(trying so hard to quit) and he said I shouldn't be concerned about it because those warnings are more for women 35 and older.

Hopefully it goes smoothly and stays that way. If not, I am seriously considering getting my tubes tied or something more permanent. I told DH I really do not want anymore biological kids and we both want to adopt.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)