Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When invited to a SHOWER....

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 8:35 PM
  • 15 Replies

Poll

Question: So do you send gifts JUST for being invited?

Options:

YES - I give a gift whether I attend or not

I ONLY give a gift if I ATTEND

I don't bring gifts to showers EITHER WAY

OTHER

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 37

View Results

...and let's say you CAN'T make it, do you send a gift anyway since you were INVITED? Does WHO the shower was for sway your decision?

I was invited to the baby shower of a distant cousin I barely know. My mom is going, but I cannot make it. My mom is pushing me to send a gift since I was invited. If it was a close friend or relative, yes I would. Since I don't even know these people, I dunno.

What is the etiquette for this? Should a gift be sent whether you attend or not simply for being INVITED? OPINIONS??

KairiLilypie Pregnancy tickers

by on May. 2, 2010 at 8:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PhotoMama88
by on May. 2, 2010 at 8:37 PM

If I dont know the person I only gift if I attend =]

KristaP13
by on May. 2, 2010 at 8:37 PM

Unless it's family or something, I only send a gift if I attend. I can't tell you how many random showers I've been invited to, where I don't even talk to the people regularly.

Family, if I don't attend, I usually bring something the first time I see them after the baby is born..

his_babydoll
by on May. 2, 2010 at 8:38 PM

i don't unless i know them well enough to

okeefe11
by on May. 2, 2010 at 8:38 PM

If it's a close family member, then I'll send a gift if I can't attend.  Other than that, I give a gift only if I go.

Amybelle
by on May. 2, 2010 at 8:39 PM

depends....on how close I am to the Guest of Honor.....close Family/Friend send a gift,............... casual acquaintance........probably not

AllNaturalMum
by on May. 2, 2010 at 8:39 PM

It really depends whose shower it is. If it is someone I am close to then I would get a gift either way.

momma_bear1
by on May. 2, 2010 at 8:40 PM

I always give a gift, even when I don't attend.

CAarmywife

i voted other because it depends. if i am invited by someone i dont know because its our playgroup  i wont send a gift if i dont go. if im invited by someone i know and dontgo i will send a gift anyways.

aj23
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2010 at 8:40 PM

If it's a shower I was invited to but didn't really know the people I will still send a gift but I send a cheaper gift, like instead of a $30 gift I'll send a $15 gift. It'll still be something decent but I won't put as much into it for someone I don't know well.
My general rule is if I haven't talked to them in a  year, you don't get a gift. Chances are they just invited everyone and won't remember if you send one or not.

Mel30248

In your situation I may send along a card & small gift such as one outfit or something (I mean go to Marshalls or somethign where you can get a brand name for great price!).

If it were a close friend & I couldnt make it I would def give a gift just as great as if I did go. Of course for any shower I attend I get a gift no matter what. If I dont know the person that well & am unable to go then no I would not send along a gift.

Sometimes after someone has their baby I'll send along a card & small gift to the baby such as a rattle, stuffed animals, or something of that nature.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)