• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

circumcision ... or no ? pros n cons

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 9:29 PM
  • 40 Replies

I'm having my first boy. and I'm not too expeirenced with the whole.. circumcision bit.. are there and pro's and cons of it ? why do they get it done anyways.. I know to keep it cleaner and all, but is there other reasons as well? when should I get it done, and does it hurt the baby alot? did it hurt YOUR baby? how long does it take to heal ?

sorry just curious and have alot of questions LOL

~*~ What goes around comes around ~*~

by on May. 2, 2010 at 9:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
1wildchild
by on May. 2, 2010 at 9:30 PM

i don't have a boy so here is a bump!

mandaa0986
by on May. 2, 2010 at 9:31 PM

cant help. only have a girl.

bump!

amayabrianna
by on May. 2, 2010 at 9:31 PM

I don't have a boy (well I don't know what this pregnancy will be yet), BUT I would and will get my son circumsized if I have one. For me it is more of a religous belief though.

sweet.lil.mama
by on May. 2, 2010 at 9:32 PM

do some research on google. or watch videos...it'll change ur mind...my son is circ'd but i didn't do research i just figured cuz hubby wasn't and he wanted him to be it must suck to be uncirc'd

Sunshine172
by on May. 2, 2010 at 9:33 PM

I only have girls too ! dammit ! LOL

MommySwiggles
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2010 at 9:35 PM

Quoting Sunshine172:

I'm having my first boy. and I'm not too expeirenced with the whole.. circumcision bit.. are there and pro's and cons of it ? why do they get it done anyways People do it for different reasons.  Some think it is easier for the boy to keep clean, some do it for religious reasons, some do it for cosmetic reasons, sometimes it is a combination of them.

.. I know to keep it cleaner and all, but is there other reasons as well? when should I get it done, and does it hurt the baby alot? Typically they numb the area.  Some babies even sleep through it.  Some scream through it.

did it hurt YOUR baby? My second son was sleeping when he came back in the room.  They were both uncomfortable with diaper changes for a day or two but that was it.  It was completely healed in a week.

how long does it take to heal ?About a week.

sorry just curious and have alot of questions LOL

SoCalMel
by on May. 2, 2010 at 9:37 PM

This, for whatever reason, always turns into a big huge debate. I'm going to leave out all of the scientific mumbo jumbo and state my viewpoint as a mother.

I was very pro-circumcision for years and years. Even before I had kids I had it made up in my mind that I was going to have my boys circumcised.

But then, I started researching.

These days, circumcision is no more than an elective surgery. You can either choose to have it done or not. It's not something anyone can force you to do, nor is it anything that you have to do. Men with foreskins are just healthy and clean than those without them. There are pros and cons to being circumcised and pros and cons to not being circumcised. In the end, I figured my sons were born uncircumcised and that I was going to leave them that way. They have had no problems downstairs and are healthy, beautiful little boys. If they ever ask why I didn't have them circumcised, I will tell them that there was no need to and explain to them the information that I found. In the end, it's what you want to do for your child. We decided to leave out boys how God gave them to us.

If you do decide to go with circumcision, have a hollistic circumcision. They are done outside of the hospital and your child will not be strapped down. They are much less aggressive than hospital circumcisions from what I've read. You will be able to hold and comfort your child.

jlvscr
by on May. 2, 2010 at 9:39 PM

We chose not to circumcise, there is no real medical reason to do so and we have no religious beliefs that tell us we should.  My son is 5 now and it hasn't been an issue, you have to teach him to pull back the foreskin and wash, that's about it (this is no big deal but you do have to be diligent about it!).    Hope this helps!!!!

Kina2308
by on May. 2, 2010 at 9:39 PM

I have two boys and when I found out I was preg I assumed that we would circ.  My fiance talked to me about it one night and I found out how against it he was.  I decided to do some research online about it and talked to a few local peditricians.  From what I found and have experienced there is no reason to circ.  A penis is supposed to have foreskin, that is why it is there.  It helps protect the tip of the penis.  the only maintence that you have to do with a uncirc'd penis is gently slide the skin back as far as it will go naturally, DO NOT FORCE IT.  I would personally tell you to do some research online and talk to a peditrician about it.  Get professional opinions because on here and online in general you are only going to get a lot of crap and horror stories.  Best of luck.

blondieblue2
by on May. 2, 2010 at 9:40 PM

It is common practice in the US but really isn't necessary. I had my son circ'd because I was a single mom and that's what my mom said I should do. My husband who is from PR is not. He thinks it is mutilation. I have read that most countries don't do it. Keeping it clean really isn't a problem. Yeh, do some research and talk to your pediatrician.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)