Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I adopted a soldier. Now what do I write?

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:15 PM
  • 14 Replies

I'm a seriously horrible writer... I've got no clue how to start or what to even say

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
4armycuties
by on May. 3, 2010 at 1:20 AM

Hi, I"m so and so...then go from there. Just write. Some of those guys have no one to talk to back here. I think it's awesome you're doing this though.

MrsApple
by Gold Member on May. 3, 2010 at 1:34 AM

I was stumped too,with my first one...but I just wrote the basics about myself,and then asked some basic questions.After a few letters back and forth,it was like we'd known each other for years and writing the letters/emails got easier and easier!

mrs.sgt
by on May. 3, 2010 at 1:37 AM

I guess just write about yourself, ask him about himself and his family, eventually you'll be writing naturally.  Maybe have your kids draw him some pics.

Radarma
by Platinum Member on May. 3, 2010 at 1:39 AM

For a soldier, even the most mundane letter can brighten their spirits.

Seriously, you can write about the weather, the day, the flowers blooming, even the chores and they will eat it up and "feel like home".

(I write to several.)

gavansmommy
by on May. 3, 2010 at 1:40 AM

I adopted a soldier and wrote to her and never heard anything back and had a really hard time with it. Good luck, it didn't work out for me

bananahammock1
by on May. 3, 2010 at 1:40 AM

I would have your kids draw some stuff for the soldier.. My husband absolutely loves when our kids draw him stuff and send it!

Proud infantry Army wife and mommy to 3 Army brats!american flag ribbon

nemiller
by on May. 3, 2010 at 1:41 AM

my husband got "adopted" by a lady in a sunday school group when he was in iraq.  she just started off by telling him about herself (single mom, worked full-time, 2 teenage boys, etc, etc, etc) and sent a care package.  after he wrote her back and they had a few details about one another, she started asking him follow-up questions or offering more information about herself.  she always sent the letters along with a care package full of this trail mix he loved (he told her how much his shop liked it, so she sent tons for them).  it's been over 3 years and he still looks for it when we go to a store he hasn't checked yet.

Kyliees_mommy08
by on May. 3, 2010 at 1:42 AM

how do you adopt a soilder?

mstricey

How do you adopt a soldier?

marinenonstop

1) thank you so much for doing this. Thank you to anyone who has done this. I can not express to you what things like this mean to soldiers. Most of the soldiers that sign up for this have no one to talk to.

2) FOr your first letter start off basic.. introduce yourself. Let them know who you are and what kind of family you have. Over time hopefully you can develope a closeness with one another as to which the letters and dialog will just flow.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)